carboy question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Certainly you can start one in it, but I would not keep it in such a large volume container after the fermentation finished.

wouldnt the headspace be filled with co2 anyway? it should be fine, that is untill you start taking hydrometer reading and introducing oxygen back into the headspace.

wouldnt the headspace be filled with co2 anyway? it should be fine, that is untill you start taking hydrometer reading and introducing oxygen back into the headspace.
Yes, but it will not stay there forever. You will eventually have to rack the mead, which is why I noted that, "I would not keep it in such a large volume container after the fermentation finished".

I didn't mean to suggest it needed to be racked immediately after fermentation was done...

I had the same question actually. How long could you leave it in the larger carboy before oxygen became a problem. I haven't looked yet, but I think I might have a hard time finding a one gallon carboy in my area. Many of the LHBS I have found through various sources seem to have closed recently, though there still seems to be a large amount of wine specific places left.

I want to try doing a batch of JOAM, but I don't want to have to scale it up just to fit it into a larger carboy if I don't have too.

Yes, but it will not stay there forever. You will eventually have to rack the mead, which is why I noted that, "I would not keep it in such a large volume container after the fermentation finished".

I didn't mean to suggest it needed to be racked immediately after fermentation was done...

Giddy up :mug:

When the fermentation is done, don't you bottle and cork anyway?

Unless you want to rack it to help in clearing. Or for additional flavorings. Or if you want to age it (as you most definitely should)

So shortly, no with mead you don't bottle it right after fermentation is complete. You are the very least need to wait for it to be crystal clear, as in you can ready a newspaper through it. It also helps to rack it off the lees to aid in clearing.

I had the same question actually. How long could you leave it in the larger carboy before oxygen became a problem. I haven't looked yet, but I think I might have a hard time finding a one gallon carboy in my area. Many of the LHBS I have found through various sources seem to have closed recently, though there still seems to be a large amount of wine specific places left.

I want to try doing a batch of JOAM, but I don't want to have to scale it up just to fit it into a larger carboy if I don't have too.

Do you have a Whole Foods grocery store? I buy 1 gallon glass jugs of apple juice at Whole Foods for $6. A number #6 stopper fits fine.

Dude, Go to one of the Hippie health food stores and check to see if they have organic applejuice in one gallon jugs - ALL of the 6-7 hippie stores on maui have applejuice in one gallon jugs, it's pricey at 14 -15 a gallon (maui prices, yeah...) but it is some damn tasty juice -so enjoy it and save the jug :)
OR buy a gallon jug of that nasty Carlos rossi jug wine in the supermarket and make sangria out of it - then save the jug...

When the fermentation is done, don't you bottle and cork anyway?
No sir!... When my meads have finished in the primary (often this is at SG ~1.000, but not always), they are racked to a secondary where they stay between 1-6 months (again, depending on what I'm making). Then they may be racked to a teriary, for extended aging (6-12 months) before bottling.

The actual whys & wherefores vary based on the recipe and my experience - but never the phase of the moon... :D

To try and answer the original post of this thread. yes you can make a 3 gallon batch in a 6 gallon carboy. but you need to fill the head space with CO2. During primary fermentation this is done for you by the yeast. just be sure to fit the carboy with a drilled stopper and an airlock.

as for when you rack it you need to fill the head space with CO2 yourself. you can buy a can of compressed CO2 online or at the local homebrew store and use that to fill the head sace. if you don't want to go that rout you can do what I do. use dry ice.

after you have sanitized everything; carboy, racking cane, stopper, airlock, etc. and before you open your primary fermenter. Hop in your car and go buy a block of dry ice. you wont need much a pound is way more than enough. when you get home brake off a small chunk(don't use your hands) and drop it in a class of warm water. you will get a cool spooky fog effect. that fog is CO2 and water vapor. now get your siphon going and pour the fog and ONLY the fog into the second carboy. keep this up until the siphon is done and you are about to put the stopper in. once the stopper and airlock are in place and full no air can get in and the CO2 (for the most part) cant get out. if you are worried about leakage you can always top it off with more spooky dry ice fog.

To try and answer the original post of this thread. yes you can make a 3 gallon batch in a 6 gallon carboy. but you need to fill the head space with CO2. During primary fermentation this is done for you by the yeast. just be sure to fit the carboy with a drilled stopper and an airlock.

as for when you rack it you need to fill the head space with CO2 yourself. you can buy a can of compressed CO2 online or at the local homebrew store and use that to fill the head sace. if you don't want to go that rout you can do what I do. use dry ice.

after you have sanitized everything; carboy, racking cane, stopper, airlock, etc. and before you open your primary fermenter. Hop in your car and go buy a block of dry ice. you wont need much a pound is way more than enough. when you get home brake off a small chunk(don't use your hands) and drop it in a class of warm water. you will get a cool spooky fog effect. that fog is CO2 and water vapor. now get your siphon going and pour the fog and ONLY the fog into the second carboy. keep this up until the siphon is done and you are about to put the stopper in. once the stopper and airlock are in place and full no air can get in and the CO2 (for the most part) cant get out. if you are worried about leakage you can always top it off with more spooky dry ice fog.

Until you remove the airlock to take an SG sample, or go to rack it.

You could do all of that, or you could buy a 3 gallon carboy. Honestly, sometimes the simple solution is the best.

Back