What should a hydrometer sample taste like at 8 days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StunnedMonkey

Reaction score
Is there anything to be told by tasting a hydrometer sample at 8 days in the primary? Any characteristics that could be signs of trouble? Mine left sort of a harsh medicinal sensation on the back of the tongue. Not that I was expecting Stone IPA at this point, but does such a characteristic mean anything this early? Smells fine.

i wouldn't worry about anything...

Well, I can't RDWHAHB at this point, because I have no homebrew with which to relax and not worry with. Or something. This is the first batch. This is the batch that I intended to relax with while not worrying about the next batch. See the problem?

I suppose I can try and RDWHanAveryIPA, but it doesn't seem the same. :(

It's hard to describe what it should taste like, but it's going to taste rough for sure. If you're brewing AG then you can learn a lot by chewing the raw grain that's going to go in your recipe before hand to get a taste for them. Then when you take your hydrometer tastings along the way you can see how each grain is contributing and how they're blending together.

I think most people expect it to taste like beer way to soon, it'll taste green for awhile... ;)

Taste before 3 weeks bottle conditioning can't really tell you much if anything...

Except for a vinegar taste, which means an infection, any other taste will change drastically after 3 weeks @ 70 degrees in the bottle...

Read these to get an idea. This explains somewhat the bottle conditioning process;
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=558191&postcount=101

And this is an extreme example of bottle conditioning...This is where a beer that most people would have tossed out at various stages if they didn't have faith in the healing power of yeast...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=73254

so yeah, go buy some good beer and relax....

It's hard to describe what it should taste like, but it's going to taste rough for sure....I think most people expect it to taste like beer way to soon, it'll taste green for awhile... ;)

Yeah. Rough. Not sure what I expected exactly. And yeah, it's all-grain.

Taste before 3 weeks bottle conditioning can't really tell you much if anything...

Except for a vinegar taste, which means an infection, any other taste will change drastically after 3 weeks @ 70 degrees in the bottle...

so yeah, go buy some good beer and relax....

Definitely not vinegar. Actually, it didn't have any particular off-flavors or aromas...just sort of harsh at the back of the tongue and throat. This brew will be kegged btw, not bottled. I'm hoping for the patience to keg at three weeks, and then let carbonate for a week. And yeah I know I should wait longer, but it's the first batch. Waiting a month from brew to tap is about all I can take, no matter how bad an idea it is.

I imagine it gets easier to be patient when you already have 3 or 4 in the keg and a couple more fermenting. But dangit, this is the first.

"Bitter grassy yeast". I don't bother to sample until I'm transferring to the keg/bottle, and even then it's usually awful (only exception so far was my Irish Red which tasted really good warm and flat)

I taste all my samples, but don't judge them....I know that the pre pitching hydro reading samples usually taste Ice tea like...I panicked the first time, thinking I had tannins...but I rdwhahb'ed and it turned out fine...

'monkey, I want to give you a BIG piece of advice...ALWAYS assume your beer is fine!!! Beer's been made for over 2,000 years in some pretty rough conditions. So it is hardier than most new brewers give it credit.

As you brew more, you will get to know how different things happen, how beers taste at different times, so in the REALLY RARE INSTANCE that something goes wrong, then you will know...But until you get to that space, realize if "cavemen" could make beer with little or no sanitation, and none of the knowledge that we have now...then anyone can...

:mug:

Have to agree. At 8 days, unless there is a serious infection, the bittering of a typical IPA will produce a harshness that will overwhelm everything else. In another two weeks, you should be able to judge the aroma and decide on the dry hopping.

Have to agree. At 8 days, unless there is a serious infection, the bittering of a typical IPA will produce a harshness that will overwhelm everything else. In another two weeks, you should be able to judge the aroma and decide on the dry hopping.

BTW, it's not specifically an IPA. I just used Stone IPA as an example in my first post as what I'd consider to be a delicious beer.

What I brewed isn't really anything, though I've decided to classify it as an ESB. It had 10# of 2-row, 1# of 60L Crystal, a total of 1.5 oz Perle and 1 oz Goldings added at various intervals. Yeast was White Labs English Ale (002). Gravity of the 4.5 gal that went into the fermenter was 1.060 (68% efficiency) and Beersmith says the IBU's are 45.6. (ProMash says the IBU's are 52.6...they must calculate them differently.)

So even if not an actual IPA, it's still got a fair amount of hops. I'm going to do my best to ignore it for at least 2 (dare I hope for 3) more weeks before considering moving it to a keg, though I'll probably rack it to a secondary to free up the carboy for another batch.

When I tasted the hydro samples in my first few batches, I was all but convinced the finished product was going to suck, but I was dead wrong. Now that I’m a bit more familiar with what to expect, I’m finding that I almost enjoy tasting hydro samples. It’s still kind of exciting to taste your beer for the first time since brewing day, even if it’s nowhere near done, just to see how it is coming along.

Depending on quantities used, I think the bittering hops can often taste a bit “offensive” in early hydro samples. To use a crude description, it’s like I detect them as this conspicuous/harsh flavor element tacked on top of the general flavor profile, rather than being smoothly integrated into it. This might be what OP is tasting. Once you properly condition the beer, the flavors meld and all is good.

As a side note, sometimes trying new ingredients can be jarring in the early sample tastings. The first time I did a recipe that prominently featured pilsner malt, the newly fermented beer smelled very sharp and unpleasant when transferring to the bottling bucket—very different from the mellow fruitiness of the few preceding batches, even though the yeast I used was one I had used before (S-05). I was worried that the beer was ruined, but even though the scent was weird, there was nothing alarming about the taste, so I bottled it. Of course, the beer turned out to be just fine… quite good, in fact.

EDIT: oops, missed the part about this being a necro thread.

Is there anything to be told by tasting a hydrometer sample at 8 days in the primary? Any characteristics that could be signs of trouble? Mine left sort of a harsh medicinal sensation on the back of the tongue. Not that I was expecting Stone IPA at this point, but does such a characteristic mean anything this early? Smells fine.

So, how'd it come out?? I would imagine the hops have diminished a bit in 7yrs

lol :D

When I tasted the hydro samples in my first few batches, I was all but convinced the finished product was going to suck, but I was dead wrong. Now that I’m a bit more familiar with what to expect, I’m finding that I almost enjoy tasting hydro samples. It’s still kind of exciting to taste your beer for the first time since brewing day, even if it’s nowhere near done, just to see how it is coming along.

Depending on quantities used, I think the bittering hops can often taste a bit “offensive” in early hydro samples. To use a crude description, it’s like I detect them as this conspicuous/harsh flavor element tacked on top of the general flavor profile, rather than being smoothly integrated into it. This might be what OP is tasting. Once you properly condition the beer, the flavors meld and all is good.

As a side note, sometimes trying new ingredients can be jarring in the early sample tastings. The first time I did a recipe that prominently featured pilsner malt, the newly fermented beer smelled very sharp and unpleasant when transferring to the bottling bucket—very different from the mellow fruitiness of the few preceding batches, even though the yeast I used was one I had used before (S-05). I was worried that the beer was ruined, but even though the scent was weird, there was nothing alarming about the taste, so I bottled it. Of course, the beer turned out to be just fine… quite good, in fact.

EDIT: oops, missed the part about this being a necro thread.

Actually this was ver helpful to me.

A few nights ago I tasted a hydrometer sample of my beer (a pseudo sue clone) and it tasted too bitter and too sweet at the same time. It was barely at 8 days in primary, so I am hoping that both flavors will mellow out. I am hoping to cold crash in a few days after my second DH addition. #Zombie threads are fun!

Back