Weld 304 stainless to a Sanke (sorry but another cheep conical idea)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtg644w

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Suppose I legally obtain a Sanke keg. Would it be possible to weld a 304 stainless steel funnel, such as the one listed at mcmaster.com, in order to make a semi-conical fermenter.

The funnel:

4359T6
Corrosion-Resistant Type 304 SS Funnel 64 oz Capacity, 8-3/8" Top OD, 9-1/2" O'all Height. (~$50--- anybody knows where it’s cheaper let me know)

Assume that I have a skilled welder. This is not so much a question about sanitary welds. If sanitation absolutely rules out this idea; however, I do want to know.

Could the funnel be welded in some configuration to the bottom of the Sanke keg in order to create a sub $200 ~15 gallon conical fermentor? (assume the top of the sanke is not an issue and the bottom have a hole just big enough in order to fit the funnel and weld)

I’ve taken a few Fluid mechanics classes, I could figure out pressures if I need to. I am ignorant about the welding; I hope to learn some day... Would the welds hold under 10 gallons of fermenting beer?

Thanks,

David

Yes, I am familiar with this project, but I dont have the $150 bucks for a hopper. I was hopping to make a poor man's version of that project USING A SANKE KEG (bold only to clear up future posts :rockin:) -- I really just need welding advice.

Thanks for the info/response, I do hope to be able build projects of that scale when I finish gradschool.

David

Back