Putin's Coal Hole

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badlee

Reaction score
Putin's Coal Hole

Recipe specifics:

Style: Imperial Stout

Batch size: 7.0 l

OG: 1.090

FG: 1.022

Bitterness (IBU): 73.6

Color (SRM): 35.1

ABV: 8.9%

Grain/Sugars:

1.00 kg Pilsener (German), 37.7%

1.00 kg Vienna (German), 37.7%

0.20 kg Crystal 135-165L (British), 7.5%

0.20 kg Brown Malt (British), 7.5%

0.15 kg Dememera Sugar, 5.7%

0.10 kg Chocolate Malt (British), 3.8%

Hops:

20.00 g Herkules (AA 16.0%, Pellet) 60 min, 73.6 IBU

Yeast/Misc:

Nottingham Ale yeast, 1.0 unit(s), Yeast

Irish Moss, 1.0 unit(s), Fining , boil 15 min

-----

this is what I have so far. I know that the base malt chouce is not exactly standard,but it is what I have.
Have a look for me.
Cheers

I would add some roasted barley--somewhere around 5-7%, and swap the brown malt for black malt.

what you've got there will be brown, not black...I prefer my stouts nice and dark

I'd keep the brown malt, even increase it a little if possible. But I agree that it needs black patent or roasted barley, or just double the chocolate malt if that's the best you can do. I don't really know what's available in a Thailand LHBS. I'd trim the crystal a little, as it's not a flavor I like in heavy amounts, but that's a personal preference issue. If you're planning on aging this more than a few months, your IBUs will fade out. To compensate, I'd add some tannins by either changing the hops to something lower-alpha (keeping the IBUs the same), adding a dry-hop, or adding some oak.

I'd remove the Crystal and double the Brown malt, maybe add 50g of Black Malt. Try to keep it dark brown, nothing better than a proper Imperial Brown Stout. I'd also add a late hop addition around 20m to give it some more herby bitterness. Somewhere around 85-90 IBU should be good.

Have you ever tried The Kernel's line of Brown Stouts? Plenty of good examples also at SUABP.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/the-kernel-imperial-brown-stout-london-1856/141501/

I have never had the pleasure.
Right now the only dark malt we can get is carafa special ii.
I have a bunch of brown malt and have nothing against increasing it and/or the chocolate malt.
I could throw out the crystal,but wanted just s hint of the flavours from it.
Cheers for the advice so far.

I just remembered that I haveva little black roasted barley. It is a bit old,but I will have that instead of the caraffa ii, and I will up the brown malt to 15%.

Back