How's my starter look? WLP007

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonPopeil

Reaction score
This is a culture i washed back in April. Just now reviving it. Smells a bit yeasty with a pronounced apple kind of scent to it. Hydro reading says it's dried out.

I'd like to use this tonight for a bitter. I'm doing an enormous starter because I'm putting another beer on the cake this one leaves me.

wlp002starter1.jpg

wlp002starter2.jpg

Has that been open to the air for the entire "reviving" process?

I would certainly crash it and taste the decanted liquid for signs of "offness".

First rule of washing and reusing yeast is to be very careful with sanitation. Looks like your yeast is being exposed to all sorts of contamination uncovered like that. I would at least cover it loosely with some sanitized foil.

Brew-Jay said:
First rule of washing and reusing yeast is to be very careful with sanitation. Looks like your yeast is being exposed to all sorts of contamination uncovered like that. I would at least cover it loosely with some sanitized foil.

Is 007 ring wood? Supposed to be fermented open anyway?

It's London dry and it's not open
Fermented. I took the foil off to take a pic.

Pitched over a pint of washed slurry into 1.030 wort.

As long as it tastes fairly normal, and you're confident about your sanitization process then I would feel good about using it. The taste may be a little off due to suboptimal fermentation conditions but should be in the general ballpark. Would you mind sharing the gravity reading you got?

As long as it tastes fairly normal, and you're confident about your sanitization process then I would feel good about using it. The taste may be a little off due to suboptimal fermentation conditions but should be in the general ballpark. Would you mind sharing the gravity reading you got?
started at 1.030. finished at 1.003

Thanks. I've been thinking I need to start keeping track of my FGs on my starters. There have been a time or two where the starter got really creamy looking but the gravity was just a few point lower than OG. I was just curious - thanks for sharing.

Back