what equipment do i need for AG setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GarciasHomeBrew

Reaction score
Your pot is too small IMO for a kettle but will work great as a hot liquor tank. When I do 10 gal batches, I aim for 11 gals post-boil, so pre-boil volumes are ~ 13.5 gals. Using a 15.5 gal keggle, I have at least one boil over. ;)

You can get away with a single burner, and that one will probably do fine. You'll need something (cooler/pot) to mash the grains in, at least 10 gals, with a braid/manifold/false bottom. And you'll need a very good chiller to chill 10 gal batches very fast.

yeah, you want something about 15 gallons total capacity to pull off 10 gallon batches...hence the desire for kegs converted to brew kettles.

david garcia,

That same place has a 40, 50, & 75 qt for something like $259. I had them swap out the 40 qt for another 50 qt for $30.

David

I think you can do 10 Gal with what you've got but, you are going to have to be very careful and watch the boil like a hawk with a spray bottle in your hand for the entire boil period.

However, everyone's suggestion that you get a bigger pot will make things a lot easier and safer. Be advised that when you have a boil over it's a PITA to clean baked on Wort off of your burner.

As to what else you need: at least a 10 gal. cooler for you mash / lauter tun.
spigots on you kettles. 10 gallons get heavy. A large spoon or paddle and good thermometer.

Other things that will make it easier on you include a tiered gravity feed system with 2 burners and a 15 gallon keggle. Plus if you are going to do 10 gal. investing in a kegging system will save you a lot of time and work as 10 gal. is a lot of beer to bottle.

Latest posts

Back