Acidulated malt...when does the flavor start coming through?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowveil

Reaction score
So I'm brewing an IPA this weekend. This will be the first time I'm brewing with a knowledge of my water chemistry (it's remarkably soft), and after reading aj delange's threads I've decided to limit my salt additions and add some sour malt instead to lower my mash pH.

My question is....when does the acidulated malt flavor become noticeable? 2%? 5%? I want to dial in my pH as close to 5.2-5.4 as possible, but if it means adversely affecting an otherwise "clean" flavor profile, I don't want to really add it.

p.s. mods I'm not sure if this is better suited in ingredients or brew science, feel free to move it as necessary. thanks :)

I don't have any experience with acid malt, but the wiki states that 10% should be the max. If you have the means, a couple mL of lactic acid should be equivalent and do the same thing for you, FWIW.

So I'm brewing an IPA this weekend. This will be the first time I'm brewing with a knowledge of my water chemistry (it's remarkably soft), and after reading aj delange's threads I've decided to limit my salt additions and add some sour malt instead to lower my mash pH.

My question is....when does the acidulated malt flavor become noticeable? 2%? 5%? I want to dial in my pH as close to 5.2-5.4 as possible, but if it means adversely affecting an otherwise "clean" flavor profile, I don't want to really add it.

p.s. mods I'm not sure if this is better suited in ingredients or brew science, feel free to move it as necessary. thanks :)

Just curious what you ended up doing. I too have very soft water and am looking at going with acidulated malt in my next batch.

Back