Back sweetening whithout lactose???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhys79

Reaction score
I'm lactose intollerant :( Any suggestions for backsweetening a batch of apfelwien that is destined to be naturally carbed without using lactose. It's a bit dry for my tastes, but I'm at a loss for something besides lactose to backsweeten that is non-fermentable...

TIA!!

Rack off the yeast, add potassium sorbate to prevent refermentation and add table sugar.

EDIT: Missed the all important natural carbonation part. OOPS. Maybe try adding some apple flavoring extract. It's sugarless and might level out the dryness without screwing up your carbonation.

Sorry, forgot to mention... artificial sweetners are disgusting :cross:

I get a horrible, overpoweringly strong metalic aftertaste from any artificial sweetner, including Splenda.

Need a natural non-fermentable backsweetener.

I've been using apple juice concentrate to prime and backsweeten. The cans have the sugar amount on the nutrition label. The concentrate puts the fresh apple sweetness back into the cider while the sugars in the can prime it.

I know you said you dont like the taste of splenda....but try it again. It is just like the commercial "It tastes like sugar because it is made from sugar". Splenda does not taste like an artifical sweetener because it actualy is sugar that has an extra few molecules attached to make it undigestable. So ya, taste it again.

Outside of the what has already been mentioned I think you would either have to filter it & backsweeten, or just swirl some sugar into your glass before drinking.

i used two cans of AJ concentrate and killed the yeast before I added. If you are kegging you can put the keg in the fridge immediately after adding and that should make the yeast go dormant. I imagine you could do the same if you are bottling. It'll just take up a lot of room in your fridge. The good news is that it won't last long because it tastes so damn good!

:tank:

I've tried Splenda several times, still get the metalic aftertaste, not as strong as the chemical sweeteners, but I still can't stomach it. I don't keg as of yet, as I can't afford to drop several hundred dollars on equipment right now.

What I need is a non-fermantable, non-artificial sweetner other than lactose.

Although, I may give the concentrate for carbonating a try and see how it comes out.

No lactose, no artificial and natural carbonation. That really limits you to sugar-alcohols like maltitol, sorbitol, and erithritol. My body doesn't handle those well, so I don't use them. Xylitol is a naturally occurring sweetener found in the fibers of many fruits and vegetables that you can buy retail. It's used in sugar-free gum a lot.

Sine you don't keg, you might have to use plastic bottles & refrigerate when the pressure is right.

Back