Hop stand how much hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
30 minute hop stand how many hops is too much was thinking 4 oz

It depends on the recipe and what you are looking for. For an IPA I would use the 4 ounces and dry hop with more.

I just did an APA and a Brown and used 1 ounce in the APA with a 5 min addition also, and 2 ounces in the brown with just the 60 min. bittering and the hopstand.

Too... much... hops...? :confused:

Off the top of my head, 4 oz sounds like a lot for five gallons, but, hit the recipe section or dig around for clones of some of your favorite commercial IPAs, see what they're doing. A quick glance at the notes I took when formulating my house IPA has Racer 5 and Lagunitas clones at 1 oz and change plus other late hops, while Pliny clocks in at a whopping 4½, but doesn't have any other late additions, just a bittering charge and an ounce and change for flavor at 30 minutes. So, sounds like you're not doing something too crazy, long as those four ounces makes up most/all of your late hops...

I want to do just a bitter charge at 60 minutes around 40 to 50 IBU of mangnum and just hopstand for 30 minutes thinking around 1.075 hoping to get it down to 1.012 only 3% crystal for some color dont want to waste any hops 4oz in whirlpool and 4 to dry hop sound resonable

The Heady Topper clone from Northern Brewer uses ~8 ounces at flameout, split into two stages. Now that's crazy.

Personally, my only concerns with massive hopping are diminishing returns on aromatics (there's got to be a ceiling somewhere) and wort loss due to absorption. If I'm putting in 5 hours for my batch, I want as much of it as possible.

It seems important to know the batch size. We are assuming a 5 gal batch. If so, I think your plan for 4 oz is a good one. I usually put half that into a flameout addition and half into a 170 F hop stand and the third half as dry hops. If there is still a half left, I eat them like popcorn with the final product.

Here's what I did with great results - drop the temp to 200, throw in 2 oz. Wait 30 mins, drop temp to 170, add two more oz. Wait 30 mins, chill to pitching temps.

Then dry hop with 2 more.

EDIT: And I did the same thing you did - a 60 addn for bittering and no other additions until the hopstand.

JonM and I said the same thing -- except I forgot to mention that my boil temp is 200 F due to elevation -- so obviously this is the correct answer. You'll need 2 oz more for dry hops, excluding popcorn additions.

I just did a sauvin smash with 50g at flame out which is roughly 2 oz, it was decent but could easily be doubled i feel

My IPA's are typically a small bittering addition, then 4-6 oz at flameout, and no dry hop because I'm lazy. My favorite method so far!

IMO/IME you need to consider the bitterness added with the hop stand if you do it at fairly high temp. I do mine at about 185F, and my taste buds tell be I get about 10 - 12 IBU's from an ounce of Simcoe hops (roughly 12% AA).

Back