Carb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsser

Reaction score
Quick question, I see a lot of people carbonating with dextrose (corn sugar). Is possible to carb with cane or brown sugar?

Yes any fermentable sugar will work. Just use an online calculator to find out the amount as each sugar will require different amounts to produce the same carbonation.

CUBrewing said:
Yes any fermentable sugar will work. Just use an online calculator to find out the amount as each sugar will require different amounts to produce the same carbonation.

Any online calculator suggestions?

Tasty brew has one, brewers friends, or just search google for priming sugar calculator. Pretty easy to use just put in the amount of beer, temperature, and desired c02 volumes and you'll be set

Brewsser said:
Quick question, I see a lot of people carbonating with dextrose (corn sugar). Is possible to carb with cane or brown sugar?

American palettes usually enjoy beer carbonated between 2.4-2.7 Volumes of CO2. To style may be more or less and you can visit the BJCp website to find those amounts to style but usually less than 2.2 will taste flat and more than 2.7 will taste excessive to most people:)

It'll have a drop menu to select the category of beer then pick what you have and. It will have recommended volumes to fit style

CUBrewing said:
It'll have a drop menu to select the category of beer then pick what you have and. It will have recommended volumes to fit style

I'm trying to carb cider, will it make a difference that they are giving carb suggestions geared for beer?

Brewsser said:
I'm trying to carb cider, will it make a difference that they are giving carb suggestions geared for beer?

Never mind. I saw their listed styles for cider at the bottom.

Thanks for the advise. All of you on this forum have been a real wealth of knowledge! Thanks for helping the newbies.

Cheers

Back