Software to Manage Ingredients???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdubb75

Reaction score
I would like to enter in my recipes and find the common ingredients between them to make things easier when it comes to ordering bulk ingredients. I was thinking about creating a spreadsheet, but would rather use brewing software if I can. Does anyone know of a brewing software that can do this?

Beersmith comes to mind. You can download a free 21-day trial version from beersmith.com.

Seven said:
Brewsmith comes to mind. You can download a trial version from brewsmith.com.

I downloaded the trial version the other day and played with it a bit. I was trying to work with the sample recipes to see if I could get a complete ingredient list, but didn't see a way to do it. I need to spend a little more time with it and see if it will do what I'm wanting.

Ahhhh.

No. The new release of BeerSmith v2.0 does not do this.

BeerSmith v1.4 does by means of a recipe search function by ingredient selections.

Yes, it does take some getting used to. I was in the same situation as you when I first started using it. Then it eventually started to click and now I use it quite frequently - mostly for recipe design and recipe tracking. I really like the way it lets me tweak recipes so I can save previous versions of a recipe in case the newly tweaked recipe doesn't work out. For example, I'll save v1, v2, v3 of a recipe until I get it just how I like it.

I also use the various tools like hydrometer adjustment, alcohol-percentages, attenuation, etc.

Good luck!

The earlier version of Beersmith "bit me" when I tried to "remove from inventory" when an ingredient was missing. Therefore, I gave up on beersmith for inventory. I created a spreadsheet seen here: http://i52.tinypic.com/2cgbos1.jpg

Apparently the new version of beersmith handles inventory better.

As for ordering, I always order 5 lbs of specialty malts, and I order them when my normal amount used is not in stock anymore. I'm going to update that spreadsheet to figure out avg use, max/min use and may be do color formatting.

Let me know if you want that spreadsheet.

M_C

Latest posts

Back