1st Attempt at my own house pale ale!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettwasbtd

Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Doughed in shortly after 9. Got my new thermometer, things are going much smoother! Hoping I can make this a 4 hour brewday as the grandparents are visiting around 12-1 :)

Recipe below:

House Pale Ale - American Pale Ale
================================================================================
Batch Size: 5.250 gal
Boil Size: 6.850 gal
Boil Time: 1.000 hr
Efficiency: 80%
OG: 1.050
FG: 1.010
ABV: 5.2%
Bitterness: 38.1 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 10 SRM (Mosher)

Fermentables
================================================================================
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Pale Malt (2 Row) US Grain 6.000 lb Yes No 79% 2 L
Cara-Pils/Dextrine Grain 4.000 oz Yes No 72% 2 L
Toasted Malt Grain 3.000 lb Yes No 72% 27 L
Total grain: 9.250 lb

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Cascade 7.5% 0.500 oz Boil 15.000 min Pellet 6.5
Cascade 7.5% 0.500 oz Boil 5.000 min Pellet 2.6
Amarillo 8.9% 0.500 oz Boil 1.000 hr Pellet 15.5
Amarillo 8.9% 0.500 oz Boil 40.000 min Pellet 13.6

Misc
Name Type Use Amount Time
Whirlfloc Fining Boil 0.000 tsp 15.000 min

Yeast
Name Type Form Amount Stage
Danstar - Nottingham Ale Dry 2.232 tsp Primary

Mash
Name Type Amount Target Time
Infusion 0.000 tsp 152.000 F 1.000 hr

Well, when I went to weigh my hops, I realized my amarillo was 8.2, not 8.9. I also noticed that I had 1.5 oz of cascade left. So I went ahead and added a full ouce, rather than half of the cascade with 5 minutes left. Hit gravity dead on at 1.050! I will let everyone knows how this turns out in about 6 weeks!

that's a *lot* of toasted malt (depending on the degree of toast, I guess), but I've found that even 4oz of my own toasted malt is detectable, though I did make an IPA with 30% toasted malt that came out pretty well.

Three pounds of cara pils?!? This should be ... interesting.

You might think about posting the recipe before brewing, if you want feedback.

Other than having no trust in Nottingham yeast any more (check the yeast forum), I think it will be great.

Ya, I looked at my batch number on the Nottingham, it was part of that supposed "bad batch." I had also made my IPA with that batch number and didn't have problems. I had noticeable signs of fermentation within 10 hours and bubbling hard after 24 hours. So I guess I got a good pack! :ban:

that's a *lot* of toasted malt (depending on the degree of toast, I guess), but I've found that even 4oz of my own toasted malt is detectable, though I did make an IPA with 30% toasted malt that came out pretty well.

What temps and time do you toast your malt at? I was following that website on toasting grain and it looked like the amount I did would give me similar to a munich type of grain. I hope it is not too dominate, it didnt taste burnt or anything when i ate a few grains

Bottled this tonight... tasted pretty good, im looking forward to October 2nd when i get to taste it fully carbed :). I think the low toasting temp kept the 3 lbs from being too overbearing. I will post a pic and my thoughts in a couple of weeks

Well, I put it in the fridge a day early cause i'm impatient! Very disappointed :( The ale has a fusel alcohol kick to it. I have gotten this once before, but attributed that to high fermentation temp(around 78°+). But for the first 4 days of active fermentation on this batch I kept this between 65 and 68 via swamp cooler, after which it settled out to about 70 It was a little under carbed so i will give it more time, however the previous high fusel batch I had still hasn't been cured (5 months now). I used the "debatable" batch of Nottingham, but fermentation took right off.... so I dont know. Any other thoughts on why I would have fusels? I plan on checking on this batch in a couple more weeks to see where its at.

Back