Carboy cap or drilled bung????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cable Guy

Reaction score
This may be a stupid question but here I go. Is there any benefit to having a drilled bung or stopper as opposed to having a 2 hole carboy cap?? I've got both and have noticed that with the stopper, during fermentation, the stopper will rise a bit. I now have a couple of caps for my 6.5 fermentors and am going to give one a try on my brew this weekend. From what I understand about the topic, which is limited, the cap gives you the option of having a blow off tube if needed where the stopper will not.
Anything other than that??
Thanks guys, please be kind.

:eek:

You can also use carboy caps as part of a siphon set-up.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=2910

Cable Guy said:
This may be a stupid question but here I go. Is there any benefit to having a drilled bung or stopper as opposed to having a 2 hole carboy cap?? I've got both and have noticed that with the stopper, during fermentation, the stopper will rise a bit. I now have a couple of caps for my 6.5 fermentors and am going to give one a try on my brew this weekend. From what I understand about the topic, which is limited, the cap gives you the option of having a blow off tube if needed where the stopper will not.
Anything other than that??
Thanks guys, please be kind.

:eek:

Some people manage to push the drilled bungs all the way into the carboy. I suspect they could be using too small a bung, but you definitely won't have that problem with the cap.

-a.

ajf said:
Some people manage to push the drilled bungs all the way into the carboy. I suspect they could be using too small a bung, but you definitely won't have that problem with the cap.

-a.
I had to laugh at this because I actually ripped the ferm lock out of the bung it was wedged so tight into the carboy. I'm leaning toward using caps, they seem easier and more accomodating.

Latest posts

Back