Scaling up to 7 BBLs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustatorian

Reaction score
Anybody use beersmith to scale recipes up to barrel amounts? Do you trust the numbers? Is there any other brewing software you use to scale up to a production size? THANKS!

I've been interested in this too. Just tried writing a recipe on Brewer's Friend and it scaled up no problem. It's still really homebrew based, I would like to see some software designed for larger brew houses.

I've scaled the recipe up on Beersmith, but does anybody have any experience with actually brewing these recipes on a larger scale? The cost is obviously way off, but I'm just wondering if you the recipe is consistent between sizes...

Although you can scale quantities on the fly, process itself doesn't scale that easily.

For example, because of the larger volume, your chilling may take more time, keeping your late hops longer in the hot wort. If that unintentional hop stand is not wanted, you'll need to adjust the recipe or find a way to chill quicker.

A brewery buddy scales his 35 gal. pilot batch recipes up to 10 bbl and has to reduce bittering hops by ~10% for various reasons. It's a starting point. On a DIPA it probably wouldn't impact it much, but on something more balanced the impact would be more noticeable.

The main challenge is with the bitter from hops. Usually the big systems will use a heat exchanger straigth into fermenters, and in the time the entire volume pass though it, it will pick up more bitter from the flavour and aroma hops, since it will stay longer in near boil temperature extracting bitter from the hops.

Beersmith have a Hop Utilization Factor setting specially for that. you may change it from 100% to 110% and that will do the trick.

Back