need. calibration. thermometer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artguy

Reaction score
Well, I popped an early bottle of my first all grain effort (a 3-gallon batch of a basic Cascade APA) after only a couple of weeks in the bottle, just to see how it was shaping up, and boy was it thin. Coincidentally, I was looking into getting a digital thermometer for mash temp readings to replace my basic metal dial-style therm, and I came across all the threads here on thermometer calibration issues. I ran the ice water/boiling water test and discovered that my readings were about 8-10 degrees high, which means that I've actually mashed my 2 AG brews in the 142-144 range when I was aiming for low 150s...yikes!!! Would that account for the thinness of the beer? I had done several partial mash batches that were okay with decent body, but I'm guessing that the LME had an impact that counteracted some of the low temps in my PM.

Yes, low mash temp tends to make beers more fermentable, but your first clue should have been your FG if that was the case. What was it?

Back