Milling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

utahusker

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 1/2" drill that runs @ 850 rpm. Will this be too fast for my Barley Crusher mill?

I know the mill can handle it, but will it crush effectively?
tia

The barley crusher documentation recommends 300-500. I don't think they base these speeds on equipment breakage but rather on a quality grind. While researching prior to motorizing my Barley Crusher, I found that it and other brands of mills usually specified upper speeds between 400 and 600 at most. If it is a variable speed drill, just don't go full throttle! If it is not, then consider that you are going 1.7 times the recommended speed :mad:

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. Unfortunately it is a single speed heavy duty drill.:mad:

This response may be too late... but you can buy a speed control device from any good supply place. These are usually used for changing the speed on routers, but I don't see why it wouldn't work for your drill as well.

I use a 1/2 inch Milwawkee (a Dewalt is cheaper to buy) on my corona grain mill; a faster speed means more dust but the grind is okay. I just put a towel over the whole thing....

Happy grinding
jp

I'm glad you brought this up. I never even thought about it. I use my Dewalt cordless on my Phil Mill and I've always gone full throttle. Maybe I should slow it down a tad. (It defiantly crushes the grain quickly!) :mug:

Back