Adding Priming Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack-A-Roe

Reaction score
I've got my beer in a carboy ready to be bottled. Do have to move it to a bottling bucket or can I mix the priming sugar in the carboy, then siphon strait to the bottles? I'm concerned about getting the sugar mixed up good if I leave it in the carboy.

Welcome to HBt!

You want to rack the beer from the carboy to a bottling bucket. What I do is to dissolve the priming sugar in 2 cups boiling water and boil that for a couple of minutes. Let cool a bit, then put that in the sanitized bottling bucket. Rack the beer into it, so that the tubing lies in a circle shape on the bottom, with the tip at the very bottom of the bucket. Then it'll "swirl" around in there, filling from the bottom, and mix your priming sugar without aerating the beer. Some give a gentle stir with a long handled spoon (sanitized), but I never have.

Bottling from the carboy is possible, but harder. First, it would be hard to mix the priming sugar in without aerating the beer. Secondly, it's harder to bottle from a siphon. Third, all that "crud" on the bottom of the carboy would be mixed back up into the beer- totally negating the effects of letting it sit in the carboy to clear and condition.

Back