Lol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey! I missed the party! My first computer was a Timex Sinclair. Tiny and pretty much worthless, after my trials and tribulations with that ended up with an Apple 2c. That was a move up, I took that to college. So you can see, I am fairly old. I doubt many know what that was. I will say, living in my trailer house off campus with my PC and a VCR, I was rocking the free world!:)

But ya gotta admit the Sinclair had an incredible flight simulator....for what the computer was, and the time, and the... :drunk:

Hey! I missed the party! My first computer was a Timex Sinclair. Tiny and pretty much worthless, after my trials and tribulations with that ended up with an Apple 2c. That was a move up, I took that to college. So you can see, I am fairly old. I doubt many know what that was. I will say, living in my trailer house off campus with my PC and a VCR, I was rocking the free world!:)

'Fairly old'?? The 2c was old when I first saw it in high school. :eek: :D

hell, my PC is old and I only got it in '06 or '07!

Bought my current tower in September 2007. But, I've upgraded some hardware in it over the years so it's much better now. :D It (a Dell Precision Workstation 490) arrived with a single 5160 Xeon processor. I upgraded it to dual chips really quickly. Also arrived with 4GB of RAM, which were replaced to give me 16GB. I've also since then changed the processors to a pair of e5345 Xeon's and upgraded the video card to a GeForce 8800GTX pretty early on. I took the drive(s) that came with it out and installed my own (three) 750GB drives for a while, Recently replaced those with a 256GB SSD for the OS and apps and am about to install a pair of 500GB hybrid drives for storage. Everything runs real nice, and fast, on it. Handles Photoshop CS6 without any issue at all. Pretty sure it shipped with XP originally. I briefly tried vista out, then went back to XP (Pro). Moved to Windows 7 when it became available and haven't looked back.

Point is, these days, having a system from 2007 isn't anything to snort at. Just because it's 5+ years old doesn't mean so much. Back then, though, that was pushing things. :D

all I've done to mine (Dell XPS710) is a new video card & new power supply. it's still a beast, but nothing like my wife's Alienware.

I had an XPS720 for a while. Installed a pair of video cards in SLI and needed to install an auxiliary power supply to feed them. That took up the space of 2 5-1/4" drive bays, and only fed the video cards. Was a screamer for certain, but after getting the xbox 360, I wasn't really using it. Sold it for a decent amount, while still under warranty. :D

This is the geekiest thread going on HBT, currently ;)

I think that's a compliment... :cross:

Being in IT for 13 years now. Been into computers for much longer.

Updating my VM's now, so that I can shut them all down and apply a firmware update to my NAS. Planning on installing the newer version of vCenter Server onto a fresh VM this week. Once I have that online, I'll upgrade my host server and keep on truckin. :rockin:

PP, out of respect I'd like to add to your thread. I'm just not that computer literate. Happy New Year my friend. :mug:

You want geeky? Anybody remember when a trip to the valley was not complete unless you could visit Fry's (the original in Sunnyvale). Where else could you find an EPROM programmer and a Playboy in the same store. I can remember walking the aisles in awe.

Or how about a drive just to hang out in the PARC's parking lot or even a visit to SLAC?

You want geeky? Anybody remember when a trip to the valley was not complete unless you could visit Fry's (the original in Sunnyvale). Where else could you find an EPROM programmer and a Playboy in the same store. I can remember walking the aisles in awe.

Or how about a drive just to hang out in the PARC's parking lot or even a visit to SLAC?

Bah, that's not being geeky... :D Besides, for those of us NOT in that area, all that's meaningless. :p :D

I used to live at Fry's. I would walk the isles and just dream of all the stuff I could do. I would go just about once a week without a dime in my pocket. It was a big event when I could actually buy something!

Since I've enjoyed reading this so much, let me pass on some internet techy goodness. www.techbargains.com

You'll be glad you did.

My friend used to host a BBS. It was a motherboard hanging on a nail on the wall of his closet. The PSU and HDD sat on the shelf under it.

There was another BBS with a Pr0n competition. Best Pr0n image uploaded got free access to the site for a year. I waited anxiously to see the winning upload. I can only say that I was young and naive back then and that some things can never be unseen.

My BIL and I used to upgrade the modem every time a newer, faster model came out. 300, 1200, 4800, 9600, etc. I still got a pile of Hayes 56K and a few 9600s at work.

My friend used to host a BBS. It was a motherboard hanging on a nail on the wall of his closet. The PSU and HDD sat on the shelf under it.

There was another BBS with a Pr0n competition. Best Pr0n image uploaded got free access to the site for a year. I waited anxiously to see the winning upload. I can only say that I was young and naive back then and that some things can never be unseen.

Made me think of these guys that used to run boards off Amigas. There is a member here who worked on the Amiga's Video Toaster, which was really popular back then for doing video on them. Wil Wheaton.

My BIL and I used to upgrade the modem every time a newer, faster model came out. 300, 1200, 4800, 9600, etc. I still got a pile of Hayes 56K and a few 9600s at work.

Hah, yes, I got a new modem every 6 months it seemed. They kept doubling. By the time I got the 56k I was envying the new cable modem speeds and soon jumped into that. No more wondering who was trying to make a frigging call while I was online.

Back