American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just bought all of the ingredients yesterday. Woohoo. Brewing this on Wednesday and showing at least 4 people how to brew. Unfortunately it's just PM but it's a start. Also splurged and bought at wort chiller.

Just bought all of the ingredients yesterday. Woohoo. Brewing this on Wednesday and showing at least 4 people how to brew. Unfortunately it's just PM but it's a start. Also splurged and bought at wort chiller.

I see your in Houston. Where did you get your ingredients from?

Defalco's Its on Stella Link. I just moved down here from Wisconsin, seems like a great place thus far.

Cool. Yeah, that's where I go as well. They're pretty cool and informative. It seems a lot of people homebrew in Wisconsin.

Just finished 5 gallons this morning ... the boil was about 90 mins, and the color is much darker than I expected ...

Did not change ingredients, except for the yeast (US-04 re-pitched from a cream ale)

I hope that the guy at Austin Homebrew made the right mixture og grains ... gravity was 1044, and the batch was closer to 5.5 - 6 gals..

Does a longer boil darken the wort ?

Just finished 5 gallons this morning ... the boil was about 90 mins, and the color is much darker than I expected ...

Did not change ingredients, except for the yeast (US-04 re-pitched from a cream ale)

I hope that the guy at Austin Homebrew made the right mixture og grains ... gravity was 1044, and the batch was closer to 5.5 - 6 gals..

Does a longer boil darken the wort ?

It's alright man. My og was 1.045 (I also got mine from Austin Homebrew Supply.) I just kegged it yesterday after 10 days in the primary (just like Ed said.) I checked it two days in a row and both days it was at 1.011, so I just decided to keg it.

It tastes wonderful. I didn't use a hop bag and Hops were in suspension hardcore, but I don't mind that.

The flavor is very fresh with a hit of citrus. You'll enjoy this. I can't wait till it's carbed up!

Alright, like I said, I kegged mine yesterday and I just did a test for carbonation since I've had it set at 30 psi for around 24 hrs now. It's pretty undercarbed, but damn! I poured a half pint to clear my 10 ft lines of old beer and then poured another half pint to test the kegged brew and HOLY CRAP! This stuff is delicious! I poured another semi-flat pint!

I'm really liking this stuff!

I only changed one thing. I added .5 oz of EKG at flame out.

Just made a bit of a variation on this for my first AG beer. It took a lot longer than I thought, but it was fun. Also my initial gravity came in at 1.047, so a bit low... meh, never milled grains before. I drank some of the hydrometer jar and it tastes sweet and citrusy.

Just made a bit of a variation on this for my first AG beer. It took a lot longer than I thought, but it was fun. Also my initial gravity came in at 1.047, so a bit low... meh, never milled grains before. I drank some of the hydrometer jar and it tastes sweet and citrusy.

I remember the first time I brewed AG. I think it took me about 8 hours lol. I now brew an AG batch from mash to cleaned up in around 4 hours or so and most of that is just sitting back waiting for stuff to be done.

I'm thinking of doing this or a SNPA next. Maybe a hybrid of the two using vienna, nottingham yeast and all cascade like this beer does but with more pronounced hop flavour and aroma like a sierra nevada pale ale?

Does this beer taste at all like SNPA?

SNPA has a bigger hop bouquet, and get some of it's aroma from Perle. That has me thinking, I have almost an ounce leftover of perle, that may be a great 20 or 30 minute addition.

I'm planning to try this in the comming month as my first all grain adventure (which seems to have become cliche from replies in this thread), and have a question about substitutions in the grain bill. My LHBS carries a fairly limited selection of grains. I know I can use munich in place of the vienna, but for the crystal 10L, I'm not sure what to use. I can get the following locally:

American Victory
Briess Carapils
Belgian Biscuit
CaraRED Malt 15.3 - 19.6 Lovibond
Crystal Malt 80 Lovibond
Gambrinus Pale 2-Row
Gambrinus Honey Malt (20L)
H-B Carastan/Crystal (UK) 40 Lovibond
Malt Munich
Melanoidin Malt 23 – 31 Lovibond

Any feedback helps, thanks.

I'm planning to try this in the comming month as my first all grain adventure (which seems to have become cliche from replies in this thread), and have a question about substitutions in the grain bill. My LHBS carries a fairly limited selection of grains. I know I can use munich in place of the vienna, but for the crystal 10L, I'm not sure what to use. I can get the following locally:

American Victory
Briess Carapils
Belgian Biscuit
CaraRED Malt 15.3 - 19.6 Lovibond
Crystal Malt 80 Lovibond
Gambrinus Pale 2-Row
Gambrinus Honey Malt (20L)
H-B Carastan/Crystal (UK) 40 Lovibond
Malt Munich
Melanoidin Malt 23 – 31 Lovibond

Any feedback helps, thanks.

I used UK Crystal 60 on my last batch. Made it a bit darker. Tastes good, and looks good.

TRy the crystal (UK) 40

Your LHBS doesnt have caramel/crystal 10L?

Thanks. I'm in Moose Jaw, Sask, Canada and my truly local shop is pretty much beer kits and wine kits, no hops period, let alone grains. In Regina, 40 min away there's a much better shop, but they do very limited business in grains. I might give the 40 and carapils a shot, might even help the head.

Just pitched the yeast in the PM of this. LHBS didn't tighting the wort chiller enough so hose water got in then switched to Tub cooling. The temp got to 80 and I said F it and I pitched the yeast. Will check soon if I hit my numbers.

I forgot to check to see if I hit my numbers.... the problems of trying to entertain a party while brewing. Noticed this morning it was fermenting and even so now It's going stronger, can't wait to start drinking this!

I forgot to check to see if I hit my numbers.... the problems of trying to entertain a party while brewing. Noticed this morning it was fermenting and even so now It's going stronger, can't wait to start drinking this!

I brewed mine about 3 weeks ago and I've already been drinking it now for 4 days. It's delicious!

EdWort, this is fine reicpe. I made the extact version and I must say that I will be brewing this again. Excellent.

Just brewed this last night. Look forward to drinking it soon!

Anyone have any blow off issues with this yeast? I forgot if anyone mentioned it in this thread and it is way too long to go back through.

Just brewed this last night. Look forward to drinking it soon!

Anyone have any blow off issues with this yeast? I forgot if anyone mentioned it in this thread and it is way too long to go back through.

Yeah, sometimes Nottingham can give you a show. However, I didn't the last time I brewed this beer.

So far there hasn't been for me. I got the pale in my room and every few seconds I hear a blurp. Might be a long night. Hope to hook in a airlock soon.

So far there hasn't been for me. I got the pale in my room and every few seconds I hear a blurp. Might be a long night. Hope to hook in a airlock soon.

Yeah, I fermented in an ale pale last time and it doesn't seal properly, so I never even saw any airlock activity. I just left it alone for 2 weeks then when I took a gravity sample, it was down to 1.011 and I kegged.

I brewed Ed's porter a while back and it used Notty. I have never seen a fermentation that hardcore!

Edwort,

I just bottled a batch of this. It was my first all grain, second batch ever. This recipe tasted good coming out of primary, even better out of the secondary, I can hardly wait to taste it in a few weeks once it is carbed and chilled.

This will have to be a 10 gallon batch next time!

Rick:mug:

Yeah, I fermented in an ale pale last time and it doesn't seal properly, so I never even saw any airlock activity. I just left it alone for 2 weeks then when I took a gravity sample, it was down to 1.011 and I kegged.

I brewed Ed's porter a while back and it used Notty. I have never seen a fermentation that hardcore!

Your lid may be beat. I got a new lid for mine and it seal good. Tube in the jug is passing gas left and right. I got blow off now. Good thing I remembered the blow off tube this time.....

Can't wait.

Just ordered enough for a 11 gallon batch from Brewmasters Warehouse. Pumped about this pale ale. Thanks Ed.

I just tasted a sample out of the primary to check the hydro readings....its at 1.010 on day 7. Will check again in a couple of days. I can tell already that the grains were steeped at too high of a temp (had a hard time controlling the oven Temp for the grains in a PM). The sample tasted good enough to where it will be drink able. I really need to make the jump into all grain.

i bottled this and had a taste 10 days later and i am extremely impressed.

this is truly an elegant pale ale that has the right amount of hop character.

i am excited to give this to friends and family and have a toast!

i bottled this and had a taste 10 days later and i am extremely impressed.

this is truly an elegant pale ale that has the right amount of hop character.

i am excited to give this to friends and family and have a toast!

Mine's got only two weeks since bottling, so it's not right yet. Was better at bottling(4 weeks fermenting). Bottling sometimes is like resetting the clock -- you need at least 2-3 weeks to carb and then a week or more to mature again. At least it's not like wine (2-5 years to peak!)

But it may be that I just finished the last of my own pale ale recipe which was a big hit in my family. To be fair, I'll have to wait another couple of weeks before seeing if Bee Cave Pale measures up.

just bottled this one. Woohoo!

Learned there can be a lot of hiccups when you brew in a different place and climate. (Wisconsin to Texas). Will learn for next time.

Hoping for the best but not worried.

Mine's got only two weeks since bottling, so it's not right yet. Was better at bottling(4 weeks fermenting). Bottling sometimes is like resetting the clock -- you need at least 2-3 weeks to carb and then a week or more to mature again. At least it's not like wine (2-5 years to peak!)

But it may be that I just finished the last of my own pale ale recipe which was a big hit in my family. To be fair, I'll have to wait another couple of weeks before seeing if Bee Cave Pale measures up.

yeah its not yet ready for distribution. there is certainly not as much carbonation as there should be yet. nevertheless i can tell its going to be a superb beer.

can i substitude the vienna with munich malt and crystal 10 with carapils and how would the ratio be?

yeah its not yet ready for distribution. there is certainly not as much carbonation as there should be yet. nevertheless i can tell its going to be a superb beer.

I actually have good carbonation on mine already. Been keeping temps the same as fermenting (63-65), and it seems to work well with the Nottingham. I have to thank Edwort for that; first time I've used it and it's as clean as can be at those temps.

can i substitude the vienna with munich malt and crystal 10 with carapils and how would the ratio be?

It'll be darker, and won't taste the same. I'd just cut about a 1/3 of the munich and replace the balance with 2-row. But it depends on your taste. Edwort has made a fairly light colored, drinkable beer with this, and it seems alot of people like it. I prefer a touch more color and malt in my pales (but like his recipe too).

Rich

Edwort, You Rock!

My first AG batch is ready, beautifully carbed and tasty. Bee Cave Brewing Haus Pale Ale is a crowd pleaser. Keep up the good work!

Rick

Edwort, You Rock!

My first AG batch is ready, beautifully carbed and tasty. Bee Cave Brewing Haus Pale Ale is a crowd pleaser. Keep up the good work!

Rick

I've been drinking this beer like it's candy! I really love how simple, but complex it is. It really makes you appreciate what you can do in your kitchen/backyard!

I've been drinking this beer like it's candy! I really love how simple, but complex it is. It really makes you appreciate what you can do in your kitchen/backyard!

This thread is over 2 years old ! is that a record ? (and I always come back to this recipe ...I have 10 gals ready to share when kids come back from school during Christmas..)..tapped 1st keg on Monday ... it is very good, and getting better...

so great to see everyone discovering this great AG .. the HPA is still famous here in VT

I recently did an 8 gallon batch of this brew.

5 gallons went to the keg. 2.5 gallons went to growlers and bottles.

I cracked a bottle last nite and WOW. HOPS! Couldnt believe it. Then I looked in the bottle. Mustve been one of the last bottles filled as there was a few flakes of hops in it. Seems they got sucked up the auto siphon.

Went out today and bought 2 oz of cascade leaf, put them in a nylon bag, and put it in the keg. If it comes out like that bottle. Man. It had this Bells 2 Hearted ale aroma and bouquet, just not as sharp.

Back