Single Pump Automated Brutus 20

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squeeky

Reaction score
Inspired from rabab25, I would like to get some input on an automated single tier, one pump, two vessel brewery.

Let me know if you think this will work? Any input would be great, I'd like to build this with a smaller setup then move to 55g drums in the future for brewpub (ZzZzz I'll stop dreaming now)

Slide12.JPG

Slide21.JPG

Slide3.JPG

Slide4.JPG

Slide5.JPG

Slide6.JPG

Slide7.JPG

Slide8.JPG

Slide9.JPG

Curious why you're choosing to go with the HEX coil and not just do full volume mash recirculating. Doesn't seem like there'd be much of a benefit to it.

This is almost the exact plan I have been currently using with a 10 gal electric system. I'm currently working towards a similar upper and lower manifold system with using only one pump.

IMAG0098.jpg

I really like your manifold idea, though. I was wanting to stick with just a single pump, too, so I made a classy two-tier table. Looking back it would have been better to just do a stainless steel prep table with a manifold bling attached to it, heh.

hvHRT.jpg

3mnCM.jpg

Going to paint the legs black.

Anyways, I'm doing an electric Brutus 20 system too. I'm curious why you're choosing to recirculate through the hex. Do you not like thin mashes? I don't think you'd get better efficiencies that way or anything unless you're planning on collecting runoffs in a bucket temporarily?

iijakii, fill me in, maybe your on to something.

The reason I was going to use HEX, was in order to maintain temp while mashing. Is what your suggesting is a no-sparge, just circulating the entire volume while mashing?

Yeah. Cause already the Brutus 20 system is no sparge no matter what. The way you're suggesting is that you'll keep a traditional mash volume, then mix in the sparge water and recirculate the whole thing up for a bit, right?

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see how that'd be any better (or worse) than just full volume mashing. I guess there are some people that prefer thin mashes. But to me the added HEX just seems a bit unnecessary.

Agreed just didn't think about, I'll redesign the system and post new diagrams. Thanks iijakii!

Yeah, this plumbing idea isn't possible, is it? You can't recirculate with it. You'll be able to pump a liquid to a pot, but not drain.

You can only do one closed circuit per pump. You could do an inline RIMS, and just stir the other.

Looking at my original diagrams, are you saying you can't recirc? If you remember that there is a common input line and output line you could easily recirc.

I would plan to have a stirrer in the HLT/BK

Back