So how bad is aluminum?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrstyunderwater

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked 234509832540 times on here so sorry, but really....does aluminum REALLY leave an off flavor? (Aluminum pots)

I used aluminum once and both my babies were born necked.

Just to clarify, is this born "necked" as in their head was separated from their torso by a stretch of bone and tissue or "nekkid" as in born with no clothes on?

Inquiring minds want to know! Because I used aluminum several times and all of my children were conceived while I was nekkid and I was wondering about that coincidence.

I also hear from extremely alarmist unreliable sources that may be misleadingly quoted completely out of context citing from questionable second hand source material that is statistically skewed for dramatic purposes that aluminum pots may, or may not, definitely cause alzheimers even though this has been completely disproven in extensive and thorough lab studies.

Just to clarify, is this born "necked" as in their head was separated from their torso by a stretch of bone and tissue or "nekkid" as in born with no clothes on?

Inquiring minds want to know! Because I used aluminum several times and all of my children were conceived while I was nekkid and I was wondering about that coincidence.
Hummmmm...good question. I think I was nekkid when I made my boy but the older one, I don't remember.

Yep...must be nekkid...my bad.

The truth is no one knows for sure...and the medical "experts" aren't saying one way or the other...we only know what we've been fed to us in the form of "knowledge"...in books or by the "trustworthy" media...;)

Now on to urban legends and conspiracy theories...:D

One theory is the medical personnel won't tell you many things that are dangerous/hazardous to your overall health is that they will lose their license to practice if they do; e.g., flouride in our water is actually a hazardous waste put into out water supply (banned in Europe) and our toothpaste to promote healthy teeth; lead in our fillings, it is now common conjecture (knowledge) among historians/archeologists that many of the ancients actually died of lead poisoning, hence the removal of lead from our paints for our children's safety, etc.; aspertame in our soda/pop (depending where you live) was once deemed unsafe by our FDA is now used in almost all soda. It is "believed" that it attracts aluminum in our brains and may be one of the underlying causes of Alzheimer's/dementia; BPA in plastic baby bottles are now illegal, but "they" "just discovered" it lines the cans of many of our vegetable's and soups at the market; don't forget Teflon, it's already been proven to be hazardous to our health, but "they" won't take it off the market...hell, "they" are so afraid of lawyers that tobacco is still legal.

Now we find out the vaccine folks applied for a vaccine patent "specifically" for H1N1 in 2007. Following the timeline a bit more closely...the FIRST case of H1N1 was reported in 2008. Question: How did they know it was coming? Logic would dictate "they" spread it on purpose just to sell vaccines...

It's been reported several times that HIV was part of a Small Pox vaccination program in Africa.

Why do they always ask for donation for research? Because cures don't sell pills. ;)

So, as far as the FDA is concerned...they are apparently unnecessary since they can't get some product off the market and can't/won't ban the big money making unhealthy products...it's only weeks away from banning Scam-WOW...(that was sarcasm)...;)

Food for thought...now, where did I put my aluminum foil hat? :D

I have done enough tests personally and read enough material that I will not knowingly eat from an aluminum pot. Granted I sell stainless steel cookware so I am very biased, but what I have seen with my own two eyes makes me cautious to say it is perfectly fine......For those who say it does NOT Give an off taste, try this....boil water in an aluminum pot, and a good quality stainless steel pot.. Put about two inches of water and 1 teaspoon of baking soda......let it boil ten minutes or so...taste the water. IF the pans do not impart flavors, the waters should taste exactly the same...they will NOT, guaranteed.

For those who say it does NOT Give an off taste, try this....boil water in an aluminum pot, and a good quality stainless steel pot.. Put about two inches of water and 1 teaspoon of baking soda......let it boil ten minutes or so...taste the water. IF the pans do not impart flavors, the waters should taste exactly the same...they will NOT, guaranteed.
Sorry - WHAT'S the relevance here to homebrewing? You do understand why baking soda and aluminum don't mix, right? Because if you do, you should also know why aluminum is fine for homebrewing and cooking.

BTW, this cracks me up -- nobody can accuse you of being dishonest though:
I have done enough tests personally and read enough material that I will not knowingly eat from an aluminum pot. Granted I sell stainless steel cookware so I am very biased.

:mug:

My very first brew in my brand new aluminum pot scored a 43. The only comments were body and head retention. 18/20 on taste. I think aluminum is fine. Still no off flavors after 100+ gallons.

Sorry - WHAT'S the relevance here to homebrewing? You do understand why baking soda and aluminum don't mix, right? Because if you do, you should also know why aluminum is fine for homebrewing and cooking.

BTW, this cracks me up -- nobody can accuse you of being dishonest though:

:mug:

If the baking soda throws you off,simply cook a can of soup and stick in a tarnished spoon......I know it is an electro magno something or another BUT the tarnish is on the spoon then GONE.. I am not gonna knowingly eat out of it.....I was raised on aluminum and cast iron cookware ( dad worked at WAGNERS) my mom and dad have both had ulcer surgery...I have had serious stomach issues, been hospitalized more than once. tubes and optic fibers down my throat with no apparent cause....switched from aluminum and cast iron to stainless and BLAM stomach issues gone nearly overnight. 100% success rate doing the same for customers also.......Again I am baised due to my job, and hell I may even be brainwashed a bit. BUT I see what I see. It may be perfectly fine for brewing but if the choice is there I will definitely avoid aluminum if at all possible.

Almost everyone restaraunt you visit will be using aluminum stock pots with even more acidity than your wort. I've had stomach issues most of my life, my kettles are the first aluminum pots I have ever been around. Its most been cast iron, teflon, ceramic and glass. I cant taste any off flavors.

Almost everyone restaraunt you visit will be using aluminum stock pots with even more acidity than your wort. I've had stomach issues most of my life, my kettles are the first aluminum pots I have ever been around. Its most been cast iron, teflon, ceramic and glass. I cant taste any off flavors.

+1,000...Plenty of professional kitchens use aluminum pots, kettles and pans.

Ohio, it may be your personal preference not to use it, for whatever reasons, FINE...but it has been researched, and thoroughly proven not to be detrimental for our beer making, not in cooking, nor in the ole alzhemimers' scare. HENCE putting all that data into the FAQ, to clear up misconceptions about it.....Once you clear up misconceptions that one thing is inherently "better" than the other...then all that is left is what WE as the brewer chooses to use.

I use both. I have an SS that I use for stovetop brewing, and I have my aluminum turkey fryer pot....Which I followed the instructions here about boiling water in it first to set the aluminum oxide coating. And I have not tasted ANY difference in beers brewed in either pot.

In FACT I have an equal number of honorable mentions from BJCP contests in the last couple years for beers made in both types of kettles, so evidently a few beer judges couldn't detect any issues either.

You hear many things that cause us to question. Hot water freezes faster than cold water, cold water boils faster. Drains rotate counterclockwise in the Northern Hemisphere. All untrue but we become convinced because they become urban legend.

Really there is more crap in our food that we should concerned about over using an aluminum pot, read the crazy crap in the ingredients. Soda is one of the worst offenders. Eggs farms eggs sold by mega chain most likely have antibiotics in them from feeding them to chickens. Cows have steroids given to them to produce more milk.

I was raised on cast iron cookware and aluminum stock pots, no stomach or memory problem to this point.

How many of us remember our first ill gotten beer in an aluminum can? I recall Genny Cream Ale, oh so good and oh so bad.

Why don't we just use plastic to brew in? If we start that rumor then it must be true.

If the baking soda throws you off,simply cook a can of soup and stick in a tarnished spoon......I know it is an electro magno something or another BUT the tarnish is on the spoon then GONE.. I am not gonna knowingly eat out of it.....I was raised on aluminum and cast iron cookware ( dad worked at WAGNERS) my mom and dad have both had ulcer surgery...I have had serious stomach issues, been hospitalized more than once. tubes and optic fibers down my throat with no apparent cause....switched from aluminum and cast iron to stainless and BLAM stomach issues gone nearly overnight. 100% success rate doing the same for customers also.......Again I am baised due to my job, and hell I may even be brainwashed a bit. BUT I see what I see. It may be perfectly fine for brewing but if the choice is there I will definitely avoid aluminum if at all possible.

You do realize that most peptic ulcers are cause by a bacterial infection don't you? The bacteria is Helicobacter pylori and while foods may upset the ulcer they are not the cause . Aluminum actually would help an ulcer if it was in solution this is why Some antacids have aluminum in them to stabilize the PH in your stomach but since the pot would have a oxide layer on it there would be none ..

Putting baking soda into an aluminum pot with water and and heating over 150° etches the pot Just like putting bleach into a Stainless steel but i am sure you knew that .There is absolutely zero evidence that aluminum pots are detrimental to your health.

The baking soda test isn't really relevant to homebrewing. By adding baking soda, you make a weakly basic solution. Wort is weakly acidic and very low in bicarbonates.

The tarnished spoon argument is actually almost comical. A slightly acidic soup (like tomato soup) will "eat" the tarnish off of a spoon regardless of the pot's material...just like wort tends to "shine" your immersion chiller.

Back