This may be juvenile, but I keep having "blow-outs"!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taoist

Reaction score
My primary is blowing out the top! It's a 7.9 gal primary.... I brewed an extract with a OG of 1.042 last night and it keeps blowing the top off of the bucket?!?!?! Everything was cool this morning when I got up.... Bubbling away merrily.... I have had a blow off hooked up since I pitched the yeast.... It's a small blow off tube, but the largest one that would fit the hole in the primary bucket lid.... But when I got home tonight, there was wort all down the side of the bucket and several placed where it had leaked.... Has this compromised the wort?

It's still bubbling away now, but every few hours when I check on it, it has more leakage down the sides of the bucket.... I've been spraying down the leakage with Star San, but what else am I suppose to do?

Edit: My blow off jar now looks like a mason jar full of porter!?!??!!

It shouldn't be infected - the layer of CO2 that formed above your wort will protect it. If you have a 5 to 5.5 gallon batch in an almost 8 gallon fermenter, the question is why is a fermentation on a 1.042 beer so vigorous? Is your temperature low enough for the yeast you are using? Fermentation temperatures at or slightly above the top end of the yeast's optimal temperature range will cause vigorous fermentations as well as some off flavors. Also keep in mind that even if your fermenter is stored in an area at say 68F, the wort can be up to 7F warmer due to the heat caused by fermentation.

I thought of that, but the temp was hot on the front end (around 75 for the first few hours), but has been between 68-70 ever since then.... It was fine in the beginning, but now when the temp is lower, it has been going crazy.... I did give my dry yeast a head start by making a starter about 30 minutes beforehand, but holy cow.... I can hear it *boiling* my blow off jar as I type....

I didn't fully comprehend your last sentence before I replied... I should keep it cooler than the suggested temp? Like 65?

what yeast are you using? you shouldnt have that much of a blowoff problem with the amount of headspace im picturing....some yeasts ferment in a few days and are much more vigorous than others also.

...freakin Coopers Dry Ale yeast.... gave it a 30 min warm up before pitching. It's still going nuts!! LOL

Hmmm I find the coopers yeast gets things bubbling pretty good.I use it all the time and do my primarys (5 imperial gallons in a 6 gallon bucket.) I dont use an air lock so the only possibility for a blow off will be if the fermentation blows my lid straight off - it hasnt happened just - I hope I didnt just jinx myself :) lol

Cheers

Back