Is it ok to mash and sparge today and boil tommorow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impatient

Reaction score
I will not have enough time to do everything tommorow, so I wanted to do a single mash infusion today, put the wort in a carboy and then boil, cool and pitch tommorow.

Are there any side effects to this?

I will not have enough time to do everything tommorow, so I wanted to do a single mash infusion today, put the wort in a carboy and then boil, cool and pitch tommorow.

Are there any side effects to this?

Also curious and do you have to cool it quickly or can you let it just sit till it cools by itself.

Ive definitely wondered about this myself, usually after a particularly long and gruesome sparge. It would probably be preferable to keep the wort cool, but I cant think of any reason it couldnt sit for a day

I've done this before with no ill effects.

You're really just letting a pot of hot sugar water cool down to room temp.

Keep it covered. Don't go longer than 12-15 hours before bringing to a boil. That mix has not been sterilized yet and it can begin to spoil. Once spoiled, boiling will do no good.

I've done this before with no ill effects.

You're really just letting a pot of hot sugar water cool down to room temp.

Keep it covered. Don't go longer than 12-15 hours before bringing to a boil. That mix has not been sterilized yet and it can begin to spoil. Once spoiled, boiling will do no good.

Thanks much.

I've never tried this myself, but heard mixed things about how risky it is.

On the down side, wort is incredibly sweet and tasty for all kinds of bugs, and once you're done mashing, it will cool down right through the warmish danger zone where germs can grow most quickly. So if anything nasty does get in there, it could grow like mad (no yeast to compete with, remember) and easily spoil your wort by the next morning.

But on the up side, as long as you mash out with an elevated temp, your wort will be at least mostly sterile, and as long as you put it in a sanitized container, you maybe able to keep it clean long enough.

Certainly a risk, but changes are you'll get away with it as long as you are sanitary.

Latest posts

Back