Priming Sugar Combination for Pumpkin Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adamdubose

Reaction score
I just finish brewing a pumkin ale yesterday and I'm trying to figure out if a priming combo of corn sugar and dark brown sugar would give me my desired results. I want my beer to carb up quicker than a month and but I still want a little brown sugar aftertaste in my beer.

Since brown sugar takes 2/3 cup and corn sugar takes 3/4 cups, I'm planning to mix 1/3 cup brown sugar and 3/8 cup corn sugar so that I have half of each ratio as my primer.

Has anyone tried this? Is it going to make a difference or am I thinking about this way too hard?

I'm not sure if it'll make much of a difference in flavor, I've never primed with brown sugar. But I do recommend doing this by weight, not volume. Grab a cheap digital kitchen scale, you'll find yourself using it all the time (baking, measuring out ground beef for hamburgers, measuring grain, hops, etc.). Then check out some of the bottle priming calculators.

I'd just use a touch more brown sugar. The brown sugar you buy at the store is nothing more than table sugar with a little bit of molasses added. Or, you could just prime with regular table sugar and add molasses at bottling to taste.

Thanks for the tips. Would you have to boil the molasses with the sugar before adding it to the bottling bucket? I'm just thinking about how much the molasses is going to dissipate, so I don't end up with it all in a couple of bottles and end up with some bombs.

Table/brown is no faster or slower than corn sugar, I don't know where you got that idea from. It's STILL 3 weeks minimum regardless, and since it's a pumpkin beer, more than likely longer.

Rather than try to juggle fermentables between the two, just use all brown sugar and forget about it.

Back