Pumpkin ale priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ztp

Reaction score
I am about to bottle my pumpkin ale and had a question regarding the priming stage. Since there was so much trub in the bottom due to the amount of pumpkin I used, I only came out around 3.5-3.75 gallons of beer. I am going to be using brown sugar to prime with, and I was wondering if I should take into consideration the lower amount of beer there, or do you think that 3/4 of a cup of brown sugar would be just fine? I don't want bottle bombs, but I also don't want this particular beer to be under-carbed.

That definitely strikes me as too much. Gut feeling, I'd go closer to 1/2c, but you really should use a calculator to get an exact weight. (I'd link one, but I'm on the mobile app and don't have my bookmarks on hand.)

Well I don't have a scale to do weight, or access to one. So I just done some quick research and seen that 3/4 tightly packed is a good round amount, but I wasn't even thinking about the smaller batch problem... Luckily I have not added it yet, its still cooling down.

My last few batches have been 3.5 - 3.75 gallons and I used a little bit less than 1/2 a cup of turbinado sugar (sugar in the raw). More than that, it might be overcarbed.

Well, according to the calculator, you'll want around 2.6oz of sugar for 3.75 gallons of beer. According to a quick google search, that comes out to about 1/3c of sugar. I'd shoot for anywhere between 1/3c and 1/2c, but I'd err on the lower side. I've never had a problem with undercarbing when playing it safe, so long as I've done the math. I have, however, had kerplosions when I got lazy :mug:.

Haha alright thanks, I wound up going with a half a cup loosely packed. I will definitely have to invest in a nice digital scale. Anyone know where to find a fairly cheap/properly functioning one? I appreciate all the help.

I use this one, and it works well. Conveniently clocks in at the exact amount you need to avoid paying for shipping, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you smagee. Purchased the scale.... Now I just have to pick out the next beer I'm gonna brew. Thanks for your help

Back