Cherry puree

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimhall01

Reaction score
I added 3 lbs of cherry puree to my Porter on the 2nd day of fermentation (when it slowed). How many gravity points should I add when calculating my ABV?

Here's how I ballpark it:

(1) Look at the package's nutrition information. Sugars should be on there: figure out how much that is in grams.

(2) Go back to your original recipe calculation, and add that much simple sugar to your recipe. (fructose, corn sugar, dextrose, sucrose. . . they're not the same, in terms of ABV, but we're looking for a ball-park number here, so don't stress too much about what you choose.)

(3) The program should spit out the new OG and, once you get a measured FG, you can figure out your ABV.

I have seen it said before that because your also adding some water from the fruit, you arent adding much to the ABV. Some say nothing at all.

Kinda piggy backing on this thread. I'm thinking of adding cherries (puree or whole cherries) to my chocolate stout i just brewed on Labor Day (9/5). Just wonder when the best time is to do the addtion?

Looks like 2ndary fermentation might be best for each and I plan to rack onto the cherries. Some notes have said using extract directly to bottling but I keg so I'm guessing that's an option too.

I just want a decent cherry flavor nothing to potent.

Thanks and good luck with the brewing!

What I've been told is if you wait until the secondary (after fermentation has stopped) then you're going to get a lot more flavor. But if you add it when fermentation slows (usually day 2 or 3) then fermentation will pick back up and eat some sugars and the flavor will be subtle. I did the second option, but I can't tell you how it turned out because it's still in the primary. I hope that helped a little.

Back