Did I contaminate my Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billman

Reaction score
I just finished brewing my first BIAB. Everything went well. I poured the wort into my fermenter bucket with spigot.

I needed to ferment it at 62F. So, I tried the swamp cooler idea. I placed the bucket in the water. Put on the airlock. I tested the airlock by pushing on the lid a little. Everything seemed fine. The vodka in the airlock never went down. So, it looked like a good seal.

For me, I have to test everything a few times to set my mind at ease. I pushed on the lid again and noticed air bubbles coming out from the spigot. No wort came out. I pulled the bucket. Wrapped it in a trash bag and put it back in the water.

Do you think I could have contaminated my beer?

believe it or not beer is very very hard to contaminate (unless you take a crap in your fermenter). Beer has been made for thousands of years with little to no sanitation. Your beer will be fine all you need now is patience

Unless you pulled that water from a pond? Probably not.

It was just tapwater right? Half of what goes into my fermenter is just plain city water.

Thanks! Yeah, it was just plain tap water. Now, I can rest a little easier.

Back