harvesting from bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so I finally broke out my stirbar, and wanted to practice usign it for a starter. I've got a barlewine coming up and one of my pre-new years resolutions is to be better prepared when brewing.

So, I dip into my DME and boil up a bit of wort to use in harvesting yeast. I'm a big fan of Two Hearted, so I pour me a glass and wait for the wort to cool. Come back and a bit and grab that bottle... That nice and clean, just washed out bottle of two-hearted.

Am I such a beer snob that I am rinsing my bottles out without even thinking about it? I laugh at myself and tell my wife, who then confesses that she told my daughter to rinse it out when she did the dishes.

Great. Now what. I really wanted to use that Two-hearted. I go to get another, but that was the last. I look at all the other beers in my fridge, and finally settle on a Bell's Winter White. Yeah, not the same thing, but maybe the same yeast? We'll see. It's not like I'm actually going to use it, but this is just an experiment. I might end up putting the starter in the fridge for a different batch.

I don't know much about Bell's because I live in GA and can't get it. However, the white ale appears to be a Witbier style... I doubt that yeast would be suitable for their Two Hearted IPA... or a barleywine for that matter. Just my $.02 =)

I don't know much about Bell's because I live in GA and can't get it. However, the white ale appears to be a Witbier style... I doubt that yeast would be suitable for their Two Hearted IPA... or a barleywine for that matter. Just my $.02 =)

Yes, it seems to be a Wit style, and not usable for Barleywine or IPA I agree, but the two-hearted plan was shot down...

FWIW I let it spin for two days with no visible activity, and then I tossed some yeast from one of their Christmas beers. Next day I'm getting some nice foaming action!

At this point I'm just practicing yeast harvest. I'll plan on getting a few more Two-Hearteds and try that again. I might use this batch of yeast in a Pale Ale style or something. Plan on using the Two-hearted in a clone brew sometime later.

I don't know if it's true, but I've heard Bells uses the same yeast in all of their beers, like Rogue.
Again, that may not be true.

Back