Pretty sweet robot...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superfluent

Reaction score
The guys at Boston Dynamics have made a pretty sweet quadroped that is insanely lifelike:

[YOUTUBE]W1czBcnX1Ww[/YOUTUBE]

Put an auto-targeting laser sight and a 6000 RPM gatling gun on there and you'd really have something...from Hell.

OTOH, if I were a downed American pilot the sight of one of those things coming to help me would be a God-Send.

I can also imagine applications to earthquake search and rescue, bomb squad work, and collecting magma samples from active volcanos.

That is amazing. I saw him kick the thing and the way it recovered had DARPA written all over it. Just unreal!

HighPlainsDrifter said:
Whoa.. thats pretty incredible. It looks a little like the legs of two people, one walking forwards and one walking backwards.

That's what I thought the first time I saw that thing about a year back. Then it dawned on me how exactly a dog or a cat's anatomy differs from our own in that the front "knee" is actually an ankle, and the part forward of that is like the bones of our feet.

It needs to shave it's legs.

Seriously, that is just a remarkable blend of amazing and creepy!

It's little brother is kind of cute. Still, I wouldn't want to see it crawling towards me.

[YOUTUBE]aGsFykdPNwQ[/YOUTUBE]

The buzzing noise is coming from the engines packed into it. Now, what would be cool is if you were to cover the thing in a horse's costume, and have a soldier in full body armor sitting on the front of it. Have him steer with his legs or with a HUD.

Yea baby Army Centaurs!

What is the world coming to when you can't even kick a robot over? Next thing you know, they will be coming after us with guns. I've seen that **** in movies.

It only has those four legs. No arms or hands of any kind. So, what good is it if it can't go to the kitchen and bring me a beer?

Absolutely astonishing! The progress made in the last three years is mind-boggling. The "mule" I saw in 2004 could barely walk on flat ground.

Back