good ebay deal on Little Giant 3-MD-HC pumps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
before anyone points out the "200*F" temp rating....

If you look around, you will find info that indicates that the max temp rating also has a lot to do with the pressure on the pump. 200*F at max PSI is the rating. AT lower PSI, it can handle higher temps.

The materials themselves are the same as the March 809.

wow. sold out already. he posted 5 of them this morning and they're all gone.

I heard you about the price increase. I did some digging and he was selling these for $85 at the end of December. Wish I had gotten in on THAT one...

I bought two from him a week or so ago for $89 shipped each!

He watches our threads I am sure... he has steadily increased the prices

To those of you who had see these for less $ earlier:

THANK'S FOR THE HEAD'S UP, JERKS!

;)

Yeah, there is a huge thread on HBT about these pumps too... March pump alternatives. Which is how I found them.

How would know to watch this forum unless he was told about us I guess.

Several times, links to his auctions were posted here. He can see where the "referring" traffic to his auctions is coming from.

I'm hoping that the "demand" here is limited and that the prices will be lower in a couple months when my March pump kicks the bucket.

How would know to watch this forum unless he was told about us I guess.

Well, we post links to his sales, he can probably google his link to see where it is being discussed of passed around.

Several times, links to his auctions were posted here. He can see where the "referring" traffic to his auctions is coming from.

I'm hoping that the "demand" here is limited and that the prices will be lower in a couple months when my March pump kicks the bucket.

Ah! Thanks

I don't think it's anything that complicated.

He put a bunch up for $80, and they got snatched up quickly. That tells him he could sell them for more.

He put more up for $90, and they got snatched up. Again, he can see that the demand is there for these.

He put more up for $120, and they got snatched up. Clearly, the demand is higher than he originally thought.

He put more up for $140, and those are about half gone already.

I suspect we will see them at $150+ on the next batch he puts up for sale.

It also seems like he occasionally puts one up for auction as a feeler for how much people are willing to pay for the item. The one that I was originally bidding on is still sitting there at $103.50 + shipping, and there is still 1.5 days left on the auction. I'm betting that one goes up near $130 +shipping before it's done (which makes me glad I grabbed a buy-it-now for $120 shipped).

So, I don't think he's spying on us or looking where his traffic comes from. He's just a smart seller and will keep raising the price until he finds the sweet spot for the thing.

I wouldn't count on that happening. This pump is gaining attention pretty rapidly from the homebrewing community, and it sells for over $200 from most places (I've seen them sold "used" for over $150.)

Given the reputation of the pump and the killer price this guy has, I can only see it going up from here out. The homebrewers aren't going to just forget about the pump next month.

EDIT: the guy who was selling March 809's for $108 shipped last month has upped his prices, too. He has more in stock again, but they are $114 shipped.

Just got this in the mail today. $65 bucks which included shipping. Will see how it works out

006.jpg

I think most guys are getting the high temp head... let us know how that one works out for you.

That's the "2-MD", right? 150*F temp rating and polypropylene materials.... probably OK for mash water, but you might want to do some homework before you use it for anything too hot.

I think most guys are getting the high temp head... let us know how that one works out for you.

Yeah its only rated for 150, But I'll see how it works out. For the price I had to give it a shot. He has a few high temp ones on ebay right now for 120 to include shipping.

That's the "2-MD", right? 150*F temp rating and polypropylene materials.... probably OK for mash water, but you might want to do some homework before you use it for anything too hot.

Yep the "2-MD", I'll do a few test on it first with hot water and see how it goes.

Not anymore, he doesn't. That's part of what is being discussed in this thread. I got one for $120, but those sold out quick and the newest batch from him are at $140.

Your right, I was looking at an old listing. Yeah, $139.99 is for the BIN pump he has listed.

The website list polypropylene as a max temp of 275F. The 2-MD is rated for 150 with the same material. It might also have to do with the PSI maybe? Im the type of person who is hands on. I need to see things work and what happens when things go wrong. I'll give the 2-MD some runs and if it $hits the bed...well Im out the money. But if it works. Heck, I win.

I totally agree. There's so much stuff out there that works in spite of the naysayers. Look at no-chill brewing, no-sparge brewing, brewing in a bag, etc. etc.

I bet that pump will work fantastically as long as you don't constantly run boiling liquids through it.

for anyone else that bought a pump from trader-drew.....

Mine arrived today. I plugged it in for about 5 seconds to verify that it at least powers on. I don't have the fittings to actually hook it up to water at the moment.

Anyway, mine has a suspicious sticker on it that reads "INVESTIGATED COMPONENT":

IMG00340.jpg

I'm curious as to whether anybody else had something similar. I'm going to call the company tomorrow and ask what that sticker means (was the pump failing QA for some reason and they did some troubleshooting, or was it just randomly selected off the line for QA perhaps?

for anyone else that bought a pump from trader-drew.....

Mine arrived today. I plugged it in for about 5 seconds to verify that it at least powers on. I don't have the fittings to actually hook it up to water at the moment.

Anyway, mine has a suspicious sticker on it that reads "INVESTIGATED COMPONENT":

IMG00340.jpg

I'm curious as to whether anybody else had something similar. I'm going to call the company tomorrow and ask what that sticker means (was the pump failing QA for some reason and they did some troubleshooting, or was it just randomly selected off the line for QA perhaps?

Look at post #29..Yes, My 2-MD has the same sticker on it. I also got mine from trader-drew. The box itself is from the LG company. I too was wondering what the sticker meant.

Back