Using Gypsum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schwoopty

Reaction score
Im just starting my first all grain batch and wanted to get more detailed with the way I brewed. I understand that people use gypsum to get a more bitter taste with their beers if their water is too soft. My question is what is the normal method of using gypsum. Ive looked at my local water report to see if they list the amount of calcium in the water but they dont. My house uses a water softener so Im assuming that there is very little calcium to start with. With that in mind, what would the recommended gypsum addition be for a hoppy or bitter beer? Also, do you add it to the mash or to the boil? My initial guess, just from reading some recipes here, would be to add about 3-4 tsp to the beginning of the mash.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! :mug:

1-2 tsp will work for 5 gallons of water. I add mine directly to the water while I'm heating it for the mash. I also use a water softener, but I only use gypsum when doing english style ales.

Ive looked at my local water report to see if they list the amount of calcium in the water but they dont. My house uses a water softener so Im assuming that there is very little calcium to start with. With that in mind, what would the recommended gypsum addition be for a hoppy or bitter beer? Also, do you add it to the mash or to the boil? My initial guess, just from reading some recipes here, would be to add about 3-4 tsp to the beginning of the mash.

Some suggestions: Get your water tested. Until you know what the brewing ion numbers are for your water you are essentially shooting blindfolded. Search here or Google "Ward Labs" and get an accurate list of what is actually in your water. Read the sticky posts in the Brewing Science section of HBT. There are some extremely helpful water information links and calculators. The sulphate portion of gypsum does help accentuate hop profile but it depends on what the beer style and starting water profile is as to what you might want to add to your water.

My house uses a water softener so Im assuming that there is very little calcium to start with.

It's my understanding that brewing with water from a water softener is actually a bad idea. The calcium and magnesium is replaced by sodium or potassium, and these high levels can cause fermentation and flavor problems. If you can't get around your softener, I'd buy bottled water, or build a profile from scratch using RO.

Thanks guys. Im going to see if I can get a more detailed water report from my city since I think its a little odd that they dont list the ppm of a lot of key minerals. Ill also see if my water softener goes through the whole house or just certain areas.

Thanks again for the info!

I wouldn't use softened water for brewing and I wouldn't blindly add any brewing salts to a water with an unknown makeup. I always recommend a test, pre-softener, from wardlab.com first because you might be able to correct it. If not, then you can decide to either get an RO system or buy a few cases of distilled water.

Back