fridge controller, heat and cool

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdriver

Reaction score
I have a Johnson A19AAT-1 temperature controller, which was designed to cool by turning on and off the fridge. It has worked well for long time. Now the brew stores have new one which can control a fridge, or work a heater. Sounds like they use an internal jumper to make the selection.

So I opened my old one up and it looks like the switching mechanism is a single pole-double throw switch. One terminal has a removable plastic plug put in it, and has no wire run to it.

A19AAT.jpg

You could switch the wire to the unused terminal and get it to come ON when temperature goes below set point (instead of turning off when it hits set point). I ohmed it out with a meter, and it defiantly is a single pole double throw switch. The only thing I can't tell for sure is can it handle current in the unused side of the switch (I am guessing it can). :drunk:

I intend on running this to a 25W heater element, so it would only draw a couple hundred milliamps @ 110V.

I would probably end up putting a switch on it which moves the wire from heat terminal to cool terminal

Has anyone out there aleady done what I am talking about?
I sent email to Johnson controls, waiting to see if they answer.

Thanks
Tim

Latest posts

Back