Helles Bock Midgard Maibok

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willie3

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
German Bock WLP833
Yeast Starter
1000 ml
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
none
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
unknown
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Additional Fermentation
Type: All Grain
Date: 11/24/2007
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Brewer: Warren Wilson
Boil Size: 7.01 gal
Boil Time: 75 min
Equipment: The Wilson Brewery
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00

Taste Notes: A pale type of bock, closer in character to a strong Munich Helles. Under German law bocks must have a starting gravity of at least 16 plato (1.064).

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
12.50 lb Pale Malt, Optic 2 Row (2.5 SRM) Grain 83.33 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 6.67 %
0.50 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 3.33 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.33 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (20.0 SRM) Grain 3.33 %
1.50 oz Tradition [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 21.5 IBU
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (30 min) Hops 5.2 IBU
1.00 oz Saaz [3.10 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
1 Pkgs German Bock Lager (White Labs #WLP833) Yeast-Lager

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.070 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.070 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.018 SG Measured Final Gravity: 0.000 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.78 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.00 %
Bitterness: 26.7 IBU Calories: 0 cal/pint
Est Color: 8.9 SRM

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Full Body Total Grain Weight: 15.00 lb
Grain Temperature: 22.2 C
Sparge Temperature: 75.6 C
Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Full Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
40-60 min (depends on chores) Mash In Add 15.00 qt of water at 76 C / 67 C
5 min Sparge Add 9.50 qt of water at 91 C / 76 C
5 min Sparge Add 9.50 qt of water at 76 C / 76 C

I am fermenting old school style in a cellar hallway that is cool during the day and cold at night. I brewed this about 1 week ago and need to do a diacetyl rest which I am going to do this weekend. Then I am going to transfer to secondary and ferment to 2 * C for four weeks. Then I am bottling and cellaring until May 3rd (NHBD). I will keep you posted as it turns.

- WW

This beer really took a long time to arrive. The heavy malt bill really fermented out well and the lagering cleared this beer to a crystal liking. It really took its time conditioning in the bottle and took almost 2 months to carbonate at 2* C. I had to raise the temp to 4 for the last days in order to get them going. When I tried the first one it was sooo sweet (due to the addition of the corn sugar) that it tasted like a brew that you would distill for wiskey as it had not carbonated fully at that time. After a few more months in the bottle, it kicks ass. I love this beer and it became one of the best I brewed. This recipe is slightly low on the hops so If I was to brew it again I would raise the IBUs a tad.

- WW

holy crap 18 lbs of grain is allot. I normally don't go any higher than 12 due to my mash tun only being 5 gallons but that sounds great. I think my next brew will be a maibock
was going to go with
8lbs Org. pilsner
2lbs Org. Munich
0.5lbs Org. honey malt
0.5lbs Org. vienna
0.13lbs Org. crystal 40

1oz pearle 60min
0.5oz palisade 30min
1oz saaz 10min
1tsp Irish moss

Rogue pacman yeast

Pretty solid receipe, thank you. Trying it this weekend. Using Weyermann Dark Crystal and Dark Munich for replacements, and a different varity of hops retaining the Fuggles and Saaz. I'll be sure to post along the results.

Tried a bottle last night. Mine could use a little more time lagering to hopefully kill off the butterscotch aroma but thankfully none of the smell carried over into the taste. What a great beer, and recipe, thanks again!

Sligo,

Curious did it get better with time? Like I said it took a long time to carbonate at such a low temp, but I still hear people who were lucky enough to have a couple talk about this beer. I have yet to replicate this recipe, but I have it on my to do list before the end of this year...(yeah I know its soon, but I brew every Tuesday so I should be able to fit this in, especially now since it lagering season;)!

Let me know how this one matured or if you modified it more etc. Thanks man!

Yes, it was incredibly good after another 4 months of bottle conditioning at semi-lager temps. Mine was a small batch and giving out the rest was tough. I plan on making this again soon, and I have this on the list of must-do recipes for the season.

Latest posts

Back