Critique my Barleywine recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mb82

Reaction score
For a 5 gallon batch

17lb Marris otter
12oz Crystal 10
12oz Crystal 80

2 oz Chinook at 60 min mark
90 minute boil.
I have not run the mash profile yet but I am planning on doing BIAB with a sparge, probably with a 1.25qt/lb mash.
Planned efficiency of 70% Hoping to get better.
predicted OG of 1.096
And I am planning on using Nottingham for a yeast.

edit: I plan on mashing at 148*F to leave more fermentables. Should I maybe change this?

In my opinion I would probably just use crystal 40 and maybe some amber malt or carared depending on the SRM you are looking for. You could extend the boil out to 2 hours and get some more caramelization from the lenghty boil. Also I would mash higher then 148 especially if using notty. That yeast will dry out almost any beer. Mash @ 152 because you want that big rich malty mouthfeel. The last thing I would want is a super dry barleywine. My opinion of course. My last barleywine I added a 1 lb of red wheat and the mouthfeel and red retention is great.

I also agree to extend the boil out a couple hours and lose 2 crystal malts, maybe just 12oz of 40l. You will gain color and carmelizing, both of which go well with barleywine. I also like magnum hops for barleywine, it is a strong bitter hit and lets the malt shine through. I do like 148* mash, but do it for a couple hours to make sure to get full conversion. Love barleywines, hate the wait! Let us known how it turns out, you think 6 months, a year?

Make sure you pitch the appropriate amount of yeast, my malty calls for 1.5 packets of rehydrated yeast. I'm sure pitching two sachets wouldn't hurt.

Back