First Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rklene

Reaction score
Am making my first Barleywine. I've made some other big beers, but this is going to my biggest for sure. My question is about aging. I am planning to ferment and move to a secondary and dry hop, then I want to keg it at 70 degrees. After that I am planning on bottling from the keg and aging 6 months to a year in the bottles.

Is this a good course of action?

Any other advice will be appreciated.

Do you have a beergun or some other wort of counter pressure bottle filler to make sure you get good carbonation when bottling from the keg?

If yes, you are in good shape. The only thing I would suggest is keg it at closer to 40F. At 70F, even when you force carb a good % of that carbonation isn't going to absorb into the beer due to the high temp, so you are going to be missing some once you bottle.

If you don't have a beergun/etc., you might just want to bottle carb. After 6 months in the bottle, the hop sediment is going to be plastered to the bottom in a nice, firm cake, so it becomes less of an issue than normal bottle carbing, and you'll get a more consistent carb.

I do have a beergun. I was worried about carbonating at low temp because I am planning aging at room temp. Is it ok to bring the temp of the beer up to room temp?

Yes, the temp changes won't hurt the beer at all. You'll need to be under 40F for 2-3 days during force carbing to allow the carb to absorb into the beer, then bottle with your beergun, then it's fine to store at room temp.

Good luck.....I lovvvve a good Barleywine!

Thanks for the info. And I love them to; from the first one I had I knew it was the style for me. But because of the love for the style I have been scared to do one.

But I feel it's time to jump in and get it done.

Latest posts

Back