5 gallon mash tun question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xjncoguyx

Reaction score
Im thinking about making up a smaller 5 gallon mash tun for small experimental batches. I can probably build one up for under 30$ thats why im even contemplating doing it. Yay or nay? I have a 70qt. coleman xtreme, and i think it'd be a little overkill for a 2-3 gallon batch, side question, anyone know what i can use to seal the 70qt. around the lid? Possibly silicone of some sort? It seems i get about 4 degrees of heat loss over an hour mash. :(

Yeah why not?

And im assuming that by seal you mean insulate? keeping it covered with blankets would probably help.

Yeah why not?

And im assuming that by seal you mean insulate? keeping it covered with blankets would probably help.
Not insulate, i have an insulated sleeping bag i can throw over it for that. Im talking seal the lid a little tighter, it seems where the lid handle is it will seep steam sometimes which makes me think its not 100% tightly sealed. So im thinking a nice bead of silicone around it may work?

You might be better off buying some rubber gasket material, and then maybe attaching it to the cooler with a bead of caulk, or some food grade adhesive.

The 5 gallon ought to work just fine for small batches. That 70 qt that you have might be a little too big to get a good grain bed on smaller batches.

That's all I have ever used for my beers, a five gallon mast tun. That holds about 14 pounds of grain or so, which I've never really exceeded for maybe 99% of my beers.

You might be better off buying some rubber gasket material, and then maybe attaching it to the cooler with a bead of caulk, or some food grade adhesive.

The 5 gallon ought to work just fine for small batches. That 70 qt that you have might be a little too big to get a good grain bed on smaller batches.
yeah thats what im trying to decide on, just something thin enough to give it a little bit more of a seal. Just wasn't sure if anyone had run into this problem with the 70 qt. extreme cooler. It works perfectly for 5+gallon batches, i just want to get into experimenting a little more, and i figure that mash tun may be too big for 2-3 gal batches. And a 5 gallon coleman round cooler is 20$. So i figured that'd be perfect for what i want to do.

And it looks like they make food grade silicone up to 400F, so i think i may grab some of that and put a thin layer around the inside so it will seal against it.

My home made mash tun is a 36 quart Igloo, and it is the perfect size IMHO. Someone was tossing it because they lost the spigot plug, and I rescued it. I think I spent about 5 to 10 bucks for mine.

You can never have too many mash tuns. I have a 70 qt extreme that I use when our club does big beers for barrel aging, a 5 gallon, and a 48 qt.

My home made mash tun is a 34 quart Igloo, and it is the perfect size IMHO. Someone was tossing it because they lost the spigot plug, and I rescued it. I think I spent about 5 to 10 bucks for mine.
The only problem is, when you start getting into bigger/higher gravity beers you really get limited with that size.

Back