what causes the colors of double and triple abbeys to be reversed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebamaking

Reaction score
This might be a stupid question but i've been wondering it for a while. i've noticed that double abbeys tend to be darker than triples an overwhelming amount of the time...what causes this if triples have more ingredients and alcohol?? it seems like the more malts added the darker the beer should be...do they use roasted malts in doubles and roasting them makes them darker or is it just a darker kind of grain they use?

Tripels may have more ingredients by weight. But they usually have fewer kinds of ingredients than Dubbels. In fact, some tripels are nothing but Pilsener malt and cane sugar in the grain bill. (Others do add a bit of Munich or some other malt to boost the maltiness.)

That' threw me off at first too. It seems that by the names, a tripel should just be a stronger version of a dubbel, but they're really different beers.

wow that is very interesting to know that must be why triples are drier most of the time...that also might be why i prefer doubles much more most of them have a more complex taste to me at least a lot fuller taste.

I think you've fallen into the thinking that " darker beer is stronger beer". Nothing is further from the truth! A stout can (and some are) 4% ABV, while a double IPA can be 9%. Color is definitly no indicator of beer strength. There are probably near 100 different types of grains* that can be used to make beer, all with their own unique colors and flavors.

*that number was pulled directly from my rear! its probably closer to 50 :)

Tripels normally have lighter sugars in them, reducing the body and increasing the alcohol content. Dubbels also have sugar but it's usually caramelized. Special B also does add to the color of a dubbel

Of course remember both "Styles" were created by Belgians who just make beer, they don't come up with categories and labels like us Americans :) Doubbels are typically 6.3-7.6 ABV and tripels are typically 7.5-9.5 ABV thats where the name comes from.

no i'm not an idiot i know darker beer is not stronger beer that is sort of patronizing...

What you wrote sounds like you're saying that stronger beer must be darker, which is kind of the same thing as saying that darker beer = stronger beer. Doesn't it?

what causes this if triples have more ingredients and alcohol?? it seems like the more malts added the darker the beer should be...

Back