Forgot to take hydrometer reading before fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcs401

Reaction score
So my beer has been fermentin for a bout two days now however I forgot to take the first hydrometer reading is it okay to open my fermenter to take a reading after a couple of days or is it worse to open it this early??

No use on taking a reading now as the yeast have probably begun to consume sugar and ferment which will give you a lower gravity than when you transfered into your fermenter. Just let it ride out until you see no more active bubbling in the air lock.

Yeah no point as it will be way off. Wait another week and then take a FG sample. Easiest if you have a turkey baster, sanitize it, pop the bung and take some out.

Precisely. Fermentation has begun. There's nothing useful to learn at this point regarding the gravity.

If this was an extract batch and you hit your volumes then simply use the starting gravity the recipe stated as that is what it will be.

If it wasn't given then list the recipe and it can be easily calculated. If it was all grain then it can be estimated based on recipe and your efficiency.

Thanks for all the advice, picture attatched is the kit I used. Anything I need to know/consider for a successful brew?also would like to know how/when to transfer to secondary carboy and how/if I can add some orange flavor to secondary when transferring?

image-3099174713.jpg

jcs401 said:
Thanks for all the advice, picture attatched is the kit I used. Anything I need to know/consider for a successful brew?also would like to know how/when to transfer to secondary carboy and how/if I can add some orange flavor to secondary when transferring?
So your OG is what is stated-easy As for secondary, IMO it's not needed, especially for a Hefe. Leave it alone for 10 days, check for final gravity and then again a few days later. If it's done and unchanged, package it and allow it to carbonate and drink it!

As for orange flavor, put a slice in your glass and pour:)

how/if I can add some orange flavor to secondary when transferring?

I add lemon peel and coriander to my Hefe when I rack it to secondary. I peel the lemon and microwave the peels for 15s or so to sterilize them. It has turned out very good each time! You could do the same w/ Orange if you wanted..

How do u put them into my carboy? Just drop them in?

jcs401 said:
How do u put them into my carboy? Just drop them in?
you just drop them in , you can also soak them in vodka to sanitize them as well.

Caution, be sure to get only the peel and no white pith, it can add a lot of bitterness to the finished beer

Does anyone know any good links/videos to improve my brewing and move on to more than just very ez-brew kits??

Check out northern brewers brewing tv( the earlier episodes). Morebeer also has some great videos and links. Not to mention HBT!

Back