blowoff tube??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwookie

Reaction score
When is it generally recommended to do a blowoff tube....about to brew my first 5gallon and the wife would kiiillll me if it made a mess lol...

Thanks!

It is generally recommended to do a blowoff tube, period.
;)

In all honesty, every one of my ales starts off with a blow off tube, with only a single exception (a much lower gravity beer fermented out in a 6.5 gallon glass carboy - I was right to guess I had enough head space there). Hell, on the last lager I did, I did not use a blow off tube and, the morning after I pitched it, checked my chamber to find krausen through the airlock...

Cheap insurance, plain and simple.

If in doubt, use a blowoff. If you have plenty of head space than don't worry about it. You can also sit the carboy in one of the ubiquitous blue tubs....keeps the mess contained....just in case.

Also, there nothing like learning from mistakes, it's the best way!

cheers

Ah, if the SO will go on the warpath, forget "doubt". Just use a nice wide blowoff tube from the jump and nobody will get hurt ;)

Cheers!

yeah, its kind of like boil-overs... murphy is always watching, and the second you arent, he will make you sorry.

just use one every time.

shanman75 said:
Why not open ferment?

You get to remove the krausen, and no risk of blow outs!

I lay the lid on loosely when I have blow of and remove the airlock. I just cover the hole with a piece of aluminum foil. Havens had any krausen go over edge of the bucket.

Back