Some AIPA recipe critique would be nice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shanecb

Reaction score
Just looking to get a little feedback on this recipe, and see if anyone has any thoughts on areas to improve it. Going for a little complexity in the grain bill, but don't want to end up with too much sweetness at the end, so advice on an appropriate mash temp would be nice to keep it on the fermentable side. Might also use US-05 instead of WLP001.. not sure.

Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.064 SG
Estimated Color: 9.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 71.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 76.92 %
1 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 7.69 %
1 lbs Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 7.69 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.85 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3.85 %
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 42.0 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (15 min) Hops 9.7 IBU
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (15 min) Hops 9.7 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (15 min) Hops 7.4 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (1 min) Hops 0.6 IBU
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (1 min) Hops 0.8 IBU
0.50 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (1 min) Hops 0.8 IBU
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale

Mash at 152F for 60min

Thinking of trying to ferment this one on the warm side at 72F. In a couple episodes of Can You Brew It (West Coast IPA and Arrogant Bastard I believe) the temperature from the brewhouse was given as 72F. Maybe this is just something that needs to be done on a commercial scale. Anyone know?

Looks good. I personally like to keep victory below 5%, mainly because it pierces through everything and overwhelms my pallet above that. Don't know about commercial temps versus homebrew, but 001 would probably handle it okay without too many esters but if you can manage 66-68 in the summer, that'd be ideal. I guess it depends on if you want a little fruitiness from the yeast.

From this you will have a very biscuity, toasty malt bill. I might cut back the victory a little. Beyond that, I would mash at 150 so that the beer dries out like it should.

Looks good. I personally like to keep victory below 5%, mainly because it pierces through everything and overwhelms my pallet above that. Don't know about commercial temps versus homebrew, but 001 would probably handle it okay without too many esters but if you can manage 66-68 in the summer, that'd be ideal. I guess it depends on if you want a little fruitiness from the yeast.

From this you will have a very biscuity, toasty malt bill. I might cut back the victory a little. Beyond that, I would mash at 150 so that the beer dries out like it should.

From these two replies, maybe we will cut the victory back to half a pound or so. I actually haven't used it before, so I wasn't aware it could have such a dominating presence.

I'm not so sure how dry we'd really want to go yet; I'll looking for some body to it. If anything I might drop to 151 but I'm not so sure about 150. Thanks for the suggestion, however; I'll keep it in mind.

You would want to use a pressurizable fermenter (keg) to simulate the hydrostatic pressure in the tall FVs used in those commercial breweries to ferment that warm while keeping the esters in check.

Ahhhhhh I see... thanks for clearing that up! Makes sense. Probably will just lower the fermenting temperature instead of doing that method for now, but it looks real interesting for the future.

Back