First Batch - Robust Porter (pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minger

Reaction score
Well, the first batch is done. It's a Brewer's Best Robust Porter. The recipe is:
8oz 60L Crushed Crystal Malt
4oz Black Patent Malt
4oz Chocolate Malt
2kg Amber Malt Extract
1oz Cluster 7.9AAU at 60 min
.5oz Willamette 4.6AAU at 5 min

OG - 1.040
FG - ...um...I lost it, I 'think' 1.016
ABV - I didn't realize that the hydrometer...I don't have the temp adjustment, let's just leave it at that.

1000093editedsmallsv6.jpg

The first thing I notice is a big taste of Newcastle Brown Ale. The Black Patent and Chocolate Malts are very apparent off the bat. Where I feel a Newcastle has a lingering "thick" finish, this has a very "sharp" finish, with a chocolate and nutty aftertaste.

The downside is a bitter, slightly astringent aftertaste. Anyways, its my first batch beer, and obviously my first beer review. So, let me know what you guys think.

Very cool! Im new myself and I love dark beers. I'm fermenting a Brewers Best Irish Stout with honey and oatmeal so Im interested in seeing how this turned out for you. Looks tasty ,,.. good job!:mug:

Thats a nice head for an extract brew. Recipe looks good. Your OG is a little low for the style, it should be 1.048-1.065. Looks like a good job, enjoy.

I just finished the same kit and it turned out excellent. I didn't follow the instructions exactly because i left it in the primary for one week and then transferred it to a secondary and let it set for a week. Very smooth, little to no after taste.:rockin:

I've also had excellent results with this kit. It's been my favorite Brewer's Best kit (although all of them turned out wonderfully). I'd love to try this as an all-grain, but I'm curious about how that changes the recipe...hop amt, specialty grain amt?

Jason

I wouldn't call this an extract kit since it includes crushed malt. You are braver than me to try that on your first batch. Congrats.

Looks good. My first batch was a BB Red Ale kit. I almost almost got the Robust Porter kit but the red ale one was cheaper and since it was my first time I just wanted to get the hang of it with something cheap. My 2nd and 3rd I used recipes from BierMuncher. I subtitute the base grain with DME though and just get specialty grains.

just an FYI

Extract kits often contain grains to steep, lending color and flavor.
Partial Mash kits contain base malt and others, spending a bit more time at a specific temperature.

regarding the astringency - I used to get that too, (years ago) until I read that I shouldn't squeeze all the 'yummy goodness' out of those steeping grains. So, if you're doing that, a drip-dry approach will help the next batch.

My first batch was this exact same kit, and it also turned out very nice. It's not hard at all to use steeping grains, pretzelb. The kit includes a grain bag to put them in. If you can make tea using teabags, you can do it.

Thats a sexy looking brew!

One note, another factor that might add in to the off flavours in the finish might be slightly high fermentation temps - Ive had this happen before (its almost unavoidable when brewing in a Southern Georgia summer)

impressive...most impressive. I can't wait for my first batch to be ready!

Back