Anyone use Muntons kits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBRunner

Reaction score
I was down at the LHBS, lookin to buy stuff for my first brew, and saw these...

I picked up a wheat for my first brew....

It is the Connoisseurs line, yeast was included

just curious if anyone has used them, and how they turned out...

Thanks

Chad

I started out with Muntons kits. I found the key to getting a decent beer out of them was to ignore the directions when they say to use 1KG of dextrose and go with 1.2KG of DME instead.

If you had a regular ale instead of a wheat I'd say get a better yeast like Nottingham, I never had much luck with the Muntons yeast. Not sure what they give you with the wheat beer however.

I have used the American Light Lager for my first batch, which is in bottles now. I tried 2 after a week of aging and it's drinkable, but not great. I wanted to make something like typical American light (or lite) beer. I hope it gets better.

FishinDave07 said:
What are some extract kit brands that arent pre-hopped?
Most good HBS's have them as well as the big online guys - Northern, Midwest, AHS and MoreBeer. The shops put them together, they're not really "brands" per se.

I figured I would try one to start, then the next will be a kit from Midwest, or their is a guy here in town who sells kits, he just has weird hours.....

The next kit I used will not be pre-hopped......

Chad

98EXL said:
I thought the first two batches of Muntons I did were crap

They are a good way to get your feet wet with a minimum amount of effort....but I would agree that the end result is not all that hot compared to other kits with fresher/better ingredients.

Yeah, it's all for me to learn the basics of brewing.........

sad thing is, I haven't brewed it yet, and I'm already thinking of what to brew after this one....:)

Tradeforcash said:
Yeah, it's all for me to learn the basics of brewing.........

sad thing is, I haven't brewed it yet, and I'm already thinking of what to brew after this one....:)
When using canned stuff I'd recommend getting something as as mild tasting as possible. Unless you're going all grain its usually better to get the body/alcohol from extract but use fresh malts and hops as much as possible for flavor, at least that's what I do.

I have never tried the muttons - but I use the Coopers Prehopped kits all the time. I make it with liquid malt extract and a bit of liquid glocose and I have been happy as can be with the results (and so have my friends who have been depleting my stocks).

I know alot of people here dont like the pre hopped kits - but when you find the kits and styles you like and use malt extract instead of corn sugar you can make some good quality tasy beer! At my local shop the kits cost 15.00 and the LME and glucose 8 bux so i get 5 gallons for about 23 bucks.

Also as far as yeast goes - the yeast in coppers kits has never let me down - just be sure to check the expiration date....... Ive tried a bunch of the coopers kits - the IPa is my fave so far - nice and hoppy and super refreshing.

PS I think coopers kits are the same price as muttons - maybe a dollar more at the most

Cheers

brewt00l said:
They are a good way to get your feet wet with a minimum amount of effort....but I would agree that the end result is not all that hot compared to other kits with fresher/better ingredients.

I don't feel I'm a complete retard, and felt I should have started with Extract (after the fact)...but it's whatever, live and learn

rdwj said:
FishinDave07 said:
What are some extract kit brands that arent pre-hopped?

Most good HBS's have them as well as the big online guys - Northern, Midwest, AHS and MoreBeer. The shops put them together, they're not really "brands" per se.

The two brands I'm familiar with are Tru-Brew and Brewer's Best, many LHBSs carry them. They are made by Crosby & Baker and LD Carlson respectively, both of which are wholesalers and do not sell to the general public. Either brand includes unhopped malt extracts, hops, yeast, and maybe specialty grains. The boxes also have any grain bags, etc that you might need as well as 60 bottle caps and priming sugar.

I posted about drinking 2 after a week of aging, after 2 weeks I have had 3 now and maybe it's the beer talking but these aren't bad at all!!

Latest posts

Back