Primary Ferment, Fruit, Brett - correct sequence of events?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatsix

Reaction score
I would like to brew a beer using a clean yeast as the primary yeast, and then pitch some sort of fruit puree and brettanomyces (Wyeast Lambic Blend).

In doing so, what should the sequence of events be? I am thinking that I can let the primary ferment ride out for about two weeks, transfer to secondary along with the puree and brett...but I just want to be sure that the alcohol from the main ferment wont kill the brett/yummy bugs.

Thanks.

Brett will not be put off by alcohol.

Are you trying to get brett flavors or are you trying to get sour/tart? If you are just after brett it isn't necessary to pitch a blend but if you want sour it is very necessary.

Yeah, I was going to mention that the Lambic Blend contains more than just Brett. It will sour the beer as well as giving it some funk since it contains Lacto and Pedio bacteria.

-chuck

Then throw that blend in primary along with your yeast. Taste it at 6mos and then add your fruit. Taste again 6mos after.

-chuck

Back