Old Wyeast Pack activated 4-5months ago?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gameface

Reaction score
I activated a Wyeast 3333 German Wheat pack several months ago and never got around to using it. Unfortunately I didn't put it back in the fridge and it sat in a cool (probably 60-67f) room during that time.

I recently activated what I thought was a new pack of 3333 yeast but noticed it was packaged in Oct. So I wondered if it would be okay to pitch both packs into a 2.5L starter that I plan to use for a 10 gal batch of KristallWeizen.

My main concern is not really how many yeast cells are left, only if using yeast that sat a room temp for months will have any negative effects on my starter or batch.

Seems to me like your just going to be dumping a pile of dead, and potentially decomposing yeast cells in with the newer pack, why bother?

If I get you, you have 2 packs and 1 is questionable, then the easy solution is to use the good one and make enough of a starter off it it.

Is there really any reason to think the old pack is nasty? I also thought I had heard that dead yeast cells are good food for reproducing yeast cells. Is that not true?

If it stinks when you open it, maybe don't pitch it. Otherwise, I'd use it, that's what starters are for.

If they are just dead hulls then, yeah, they would end up being nutrient for the live yeast.
But that's a pretty warm "soup" they've been sitting in, I don't imaging they fared to well in that environment, autolysis isn't pretty.

If they are just dead hulls then, yeah, they would end up being nutrient for the live yeast.
But that's a pretty warm "soup" they've been sitting in, I don't imaging they fared to well in that environment, autolysis isn't pretty.

So it should stink if it's no good?

You've got me leaning towards not using it.

Well the old yeast pack smelled...delicious. Could have poured it into a glass and drank it.

That said, I poured it into my starter. We'll see how it goes.

Just a little update. The starter worked great and the beer turned out as I remember it. I have about 4 gallons left on tap before my monthly poker game tonight.

Latest posts

Back