primary finished

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

android

Reaction score
well, just got done with racking into the secondary fermenter. i forgot to take an OG reading as i was caught up in all the excitement of the first batch. i took a reading tonight and it was at 1.010, is that any indication of whether it fermented well or not? the brew was a simple 5 gal extract batch, 5# of light DME with some rice syrup solids and saaz for the hops (i'm including this info in hopes someone will have an estimate of what the OG should have been).

a beautiful layer of yeast sludge in the bottom. a few other questions:

it's rather hazy looking (i used pellet hops and didn't strain), will it clear up at all during the secondary fermentation?

should the carboy be covered up with a towel to block out light or does that not make any difference?

thanks for your input. cheers! :mug:

-It will be hazy from the move to secondary but it will settle.

-Yes, you should eliminate light since UV makes hop oil "skunky"

1.010 seems like it's done with fermentation... that's pretty low for any style. Let it hang out in the secondary for 3-7 days.

I know what you mean about the excitement of the first batch. You get too giddy and you miss some big steps, heh

Congrats on your first brew! :mug:

cant answer any of your questions as my first batch is still in the primary but congratualtions on racking it i will probably do mine sometime next week

Back