First 10 gallon AG brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
American Amber....
1.053 OG at 10.5 gallons.

Crankandstein with DIY hopper:
mill.jpg

19.75 lbs of grain in a 48qt cooler
mash.jpg

Added 2.5 gallons to mash out...woah boy..stir slowly.
mashout.jpg

Boiling mashout water got the temp up to 169F:
mashouttemp.jpg

First runnings collected:
firstrunnings.jpg

12 gallons in the keg:
inkettle.jpg

Proofed a little slurry I had in the fridge for a week by adding a little sugar water.. Yes, they're still viable:
yeastproof.jpg

In the fermenter, in the freezer at 66F. It took off within 14 hours. No worries.
fermenting.jpg

How's that big ol' white tub working out for you as a fermenter? I saw the post about those over on the green board a while back and I'm still thinking about getting one.

Great pics, btw.

This is my first time fermenting in that thing.. I was going to use it for grain storage but it's just too temping to ferment all 10 in one vessel. So far so good.

sm-thumbup.gif
Great pics Bobby. You really took your MLT to the limit. Did you know it was going to be that close? I too need to figure out something else other than 2 carboys for fermenting 10 gal batches.

Nice pics, I like your hopper on the grain mill, and the use of clamps for hands free crushing. Also what is that that your thermometer is floating on in your mash tun?

Chhers

Thanks... that was the cheapest hopper I could figure and all it took was the correct hole saw size in a piece of 2 x 4 mounted to the top of the crankandstein.

The thermo is floating in the plastic lid of an old coffee carafe. It just happened to have the right size hole to make a seal. Talk about cobbling. I was looking for a small thin piece of styrofoam for the same purpose but found this thing in the garage. Of course, I had to open the lid to check temps but I only had this one in there to verify the accuracy of my remote probe electronic one that I was reading from outside the tun.

Yes, I knew that big mashout was going to push the limits. If the bill were any larger I would have just done a first runnings and used hotter sparge.

Nice job! I'm looking to go 10 gal real soon, too.

Maybe I missed it posted elsewhere, but what the heck is that white thing you're fermenting in? I'm intrigued!

I'm glad you posted the pick of that hopper; that'll save me some $$ when it comes time to actually BUY a grain mill. Nice little design!

There's some guy I found on brewboard.com that works in some company that imports baking powder or some junk and that's what it comes in. The top is gasketed and screw on. I wish I had a link for you but you might be able to find it yourself. It was something like $28 including shipping now that shipping costs have gone up.

So does mounting a drill to your mill work well? I'm getting tired of hand cranking 15 lbs of grain, and too cheap to buy a motor.

I love the smell of 10 gallons boiling in the morning....

Smells like....beer...

Hey, I'll trade ya kettles:

Mine:

Keggle_3.JPG

For yours:

BobbiesKettle.jpg

You can throw in a 12 pack if you feel guilty about a lopsided trade. :D

Rhoobarb said:
Nice job! I'm looking to go 10 gal real soon, too.

Maybe I missed it posted elsewhere, but what the heck is that white thing you're fermenting in? I'm intrigued!

http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=28698

I bought six of them back in May - using 4 of them for grain storage and 2 are being converted into fermenters similar to Bobby_M...

Back