Adding Yeast at Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bknifefight

Reaction score
I have a tripel in the primary right now which had an OG of 1.106 (I know it's high and don't care about style guidelines). With this gravity, the highest I have ever done, I think I should pitch more yeast at bottling. Does this sound reasonable? If so, how much should I pitch? Is a single vial enough or would a starter be needed? Thanks everyone! :)

I've had to do this once. I wouldn't worry about the yeast strain you choose. I used one speck, like really one little speck, of dry yeast to each bottle. Just pick one that's cheap.

I can say it worked great since I had ZERO carbonation at 5 weeks and had to pop the top on each bottle and do this method. In a matter of a few days I was getting carbonation.

What yeast did you use? What is your FG? If the yeast crapped out and died due to high alcohol and never finished the fermentation then adding more of the low tolerant yeast may not due the trick...they just can't ferment in that much alcohol. This is a problem because adding a different yeast with a higher tolerance to unfinished wart and priming could lead to bottle bombs...If it did ferment completely and you haven't conditioned a long, long time...regular priming should work fine (no additional yeastys needed) :)

So you're saying it's not important to use the same yeast that was used during fermentation?

What yeast did you use? What is your FG? If the yeast crapped out and died due to high alcohol and never finished the fermentation then adding more of the low tolerant yeast may not due the trick...they just can't ferment in that much alcohol. This is a problem because adding a different yeast with a higher tolerance to unfinished wart and priming could lead to bottle bombs...If it did ferment completely and you haven't conditioned a long, long time...regular priming should work fine (no additional yeastys needed) :)

The yeast is WYeast 3787. I do not have a FG yet as it is less than a week in the primary. I am just planning ahead. The OG is 1.106 and I suspect the FG to be in the 1.02ish range. Hopefully lower. I actually may dilute it a bit when transferring to Secondary since the volume in my Primary was a bit low to make room for the monster Krausen this yeast gave me.

So you're saying it's not important to use the same yeast that was used during fermentation?

Yes. Some may disagree here, though. I chose s04 because it flocculates well. You're not going to get a flavor profile from a speck of yeast in a bottle used for carbonating. Plus, doing this means you won't have added to much in bulk to the bottling bucket. You don't want character, just carbonation.

EDIT: In fact, many breweries add different yeast strains at bottling than what they fermented with to preserve their proprietary strains.

I dont disagree with using a more flocculating yeast, but here is something to think about:
no matter what yeast you use, it will settle in the bottle. a more flocculent yeast will be clumpy when you pour it out of the bottle. I like to drink the yeast, and the appearance does not bother me at all, but for the people who like to decant the beer off of the yeast, less flocculent tends to be better. Less flocculent yeast will yield more silty looking beer at the end of the pour while highly flocculent yeast will look chunkier. both will be delicious, so I wouldnt lose any sleep over it.

Back