Never say Never OOPs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZOG

Reaction score
Sunday I was brewing my 10th extract kit, a Maibock from Midwest, and in the midst of doing 3 other things (broke the concentation rule) I forgot to add the 1oz of Aroma hops at the end.

I did however remember to add the Whirlfoc with 15 min. left to the boil.

I had about 3.5 gallons in the original boil and finished up my 60 min. boil. as I would normally

I chilled the wert to 80 or so and started pouring it into the sanatized primary when I realized the mistake. at this point I had half in the primary and half still in my pot. I went ahead and added 1.5 gallons of fresh water to the pot (still filled with half of the original boil) and brought it back to a boil and added the aroma hops and boiled for 5 min. as per the directions.

I then chilled this portion again and mixed it in the primary. It landed right at 5 gallons in my primary. I then took a hydrometer reading and was dead on 1.065.

I then aerated and pitched the Wyeast Activator pack that was bulged from early "smacking".

I am hoping the Re-boil will have no adverse effects and it tasted and measured just fine. As of this morning the air lock was busting Azz and the fermentation is well on it's way..

anybody ever to have this problem and what ended up happening???

did you boil it with half the wort? Or did you pour the rest of the wort into the fermenter and then boil the hops just in water? From your post, it really isn't clear...

Either way is fine really... it'll still be beer. Since you won't get a lot of IBU's out of an aroma addition, it shouldn't matter either way. And you still have the whirlfloc that was in the fermenter, so it should be perfectly clear beer once its settled out.

With some experience under my belt, I would have either just boiled a couple cups of water in the microwave, steeped the hops, and then just poured it straight into the fermenter... I wouldn't even have to bother with a second chilling step that way. Or I might have added the hops straight to the fermenter as a dry hop... no extra work that way and a little extra flavor/aroma, although that wouldn't really be true to the Maibock style.

In fact, IIRC, aroma hops are pretty unusual for a Maibock period... but hopefully with a few months to mellow out, they shouldn't be but a hint of their original selves which might be a nice subtle touch..

After researching a bit on the Maibock I also found it odd for the aroma hop as well, but I have yet to veer much from the instructions.

since it was just 5 min. it was, like you said, not influencing it much.

I would have wondered had I not added them though.

thanks

Well no, 4 year old boy, 12 year old girl, 14 year old girl.

That's three.

Wife was out for the day!!!

i once realized that my immersion chiller was leaking a little water into my wort. i did what you did, reheat it to a boil just for peace of mind. beer turned out great!

Back