Birthday Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
I was at a friends house a few weeks back and helped him with an All Grain Beers session. He had 3 beers on tap and all were fantastic. He had a very tasty brown ale which he named his Experimental Brown.

I pared it down from 10 gallons to 5 and after tasting it today have decided to change the name from Birthday Brown to Hoppy Birthday Brown.

It was a big beer, too much for my 5 gallon Rubbermaid, so my efficiancy suffered. Still my OG was 1.054 and at kegging it was 1.016 which calculates out to 5.1% abv.

Any thoughts on the recipe?

Ed's All Grain Hoppy Birthday Brown

Grain
Amount Name
---------------------------------------
12.50 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row)
0.25 lbs. Crystal 40L
0.25 lbs. Crystal 90L
0.50 lbs. Chocolate Malt
0.25 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt

Hops
Amount Name Boil Time
---------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Centennial 60 min.
0.50 oz. Centennial 50 min.
0.50 oz. Centennial 30 min.
0.50 oz. Cascade 20 min.
0.50 oz. Cascade 2.0 5 min.

Yeast
-----
White Labs WLP051 California Ale V

That is kinda low for the efficiency. How much wort didd you collect? I've done that much grain in my 5 gal cooler before. It is more difficult.

Looks like a Texas Brown, which are dark "pale ales", rather than a traditional brown. Good though.

Texas Tan Ale?

Brewsmith said:
That is kinda low for the efficiency. How much wort didd you collect? I've done that much grain in my 5 gal cooler before. It is more difficult.

Yeah, my efficiency sucked. I collected 7 gallons and boiled it down to 5.5 gallons. I learned from it. I've donated my 5 gallon cooler to my son's Boy Scout Troop and I picked up a 10 gallon cooler with a stainless false bottom.

Next batch, Fly Sparging.

david_42 said:
Looks like a Texas Brown, which are dark "pale ales", rather than a traditional brown. Good though.

Texas Tan Ale?

I thought so after looking up what a Brown Ale is supposed to be and comparing the ingredients.

Hmm. Texas Tan Ale. Has a ring to it. TTA

I'll post a pic after I get it carbonated, along with the Vintage Utah Porter you recommended. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back