Any commercial beers that have as much sediment as homebrews?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerbeque

Reaction score
I bottle my homebrew but of the many dozens of commercial beers that I've had over the years, none have ever had as much sediment as my homebrews. I've had many that claim to be bottle conditioned like Sierra, Deschutes Rogue, etc but they all have so little sediment that they can be drank straight out of the bottle with no problem but I sure can't drink my homebrew right out of the bottle. I know that many commercial bottle conditioned beers are filtered and then another yeast is added for carbonation but do you guys know of any commercial examples that are made and bottled just as we homebrewers do it? (with lots of sediment?)

There's quite a few actually. I had a Rogue Northwestern ale the other day that had a ton of sediment. I checked some of the commercial brews in my fridge just now and saw a pretty thick layer of sediment in Pliny the Elder and Hop ottin' IPA, while Sierra Nevada Torpedo and Stone Double Bastard had a fairly thin layer of sediment.

And besides what the DR said...my homebrew is as clear and sediment free as most commercial bottle conditioned beers.

My beer IS crystal clear (It's even been called Jewel-like, by bjcp judges)...and I don't really do anything special...except let my beer sit in primary for a month....leave it for a minimum 3 weeks in the bottle usually more, and pour from the shoulder.....you don't need to strive for something, that comes pretty naturally, with good brewing and pouring skills...

Read this mini rant of mine...it has some good info....and tips about learning to love, and leave behing that tiny amount of yeast....there's even a video on the proper pour...https://www.homebrewtalk.com/1379528-post2.html

:mug:

If you're concerned about the amount of sediment you get I would follow Revvy's recommendations.

Primary for at least 3 weeks. Leave a little beer in there too, so that you aren't siphoning right off the bottom. I don't secondary but that would help too, as would cold crashing.

Just be sure to be patient, and use care when racking.

I do 2 weeks primary + 2 weeks secondary and with most brews I get only a light dusting of yeast sediment in my bottles. No filter, no post-fermentation finings, I don't even cold crash. How long do you usually ferment your beer before bottling?

I don't seem to have a lot of sediment in my homebrew, but I haven't bottled anything real heavy yet.

I've got an Abita Abbey Ale in the fridge (bomber) that has a TON of sediment in it.

Back